Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-time programs/ commuters  (Read 1303 times)

NicoleinCarolina

• View Profile
Part-time programs/ commuters
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
Hi. I am 31, the mother of two small children ( kindergarten and preschool) married to a solo practioner in rural NC. I currently work full-time as a reporter but have decided I am up for the challenge of law school. My husband is very supportive of the idea but due to living atleast two to three hours from any law schools I am thinking a part-time program would be best. My husband has a well-established practice and I do not want him to leave it.
With that said, N.C. Central, Charlotte School of Law and Charleston School of law (with part time programs) appear to be my only options granted I get in. All are three-day per week programs and my intent is to get a place near the school and stay there 2 to 3 nights a week --hoping for minimal impact on children as with my work I am gone 2 to 3 nights a week anyway.
I am fortunate to have my husband's practice waiting for me when I graduate so I am not as concerned about the lack of prestige for the newer schools (Charleston and Charlotte) that offer the part-time programs compared with other schools. Should I be?
Is anyone here planning to attend law school within such a distance from family and keep up a twice a week commute?
I am prepping for the LSAT now but also wondering if I should go ahead and quit my job to focus on preparing for the LSAT.
Any advice?

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part-time programs/ commuters
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:17:48 AM »
Hi Nicole. My morning commute is an hour to get to work. Three nights a week I head downtown after work to law school. Then I drive a little over an hour to get home. I leave at 7 a.m. and I don't get home until 10 p.m. on school nights. As a law student, I have only two lives: I am either at work or I'm studying law, whether in class or out. I'm winding up my second year of this and while I love law school, it's hard on my wife, although she's supportive. You are going to have to REALLY want to become an attorney to get through it. Part-time law schools usually take four years, and it's a huge grind if you have to work at the same time. If I lived two hours away from school, but I didn't have to work, then I wouldn't bother getting a room. I'd just drive home. Commuting is a great opportunity to listen to law CDs. After you listen to them over and over, some of it actually sticks.

Good luck!

NicoleinCarolina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:19 PM »
Duncan:

Thanks for your feedback and tip about the CDs.

CWFirm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »
Nicole:

My only advice would be to do all you can to protect your family time. If you find that being away that much is starting to take it's toll on your kids than don't be afraid to take a semester off in the process. If you can afford to go ahead and quit your job, then that would probably afford you more of an opportunity to work out the logistics. Good Luck to you!

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
I have to agree.  I work full-time and commute three nights a week approximately 1 hour each way.   I live with my boyfriend and don't have children so I honestly can't imagine how difficult it would be to have kids on top of school and work.  If can quit your job, you should.  Law school really is all-consuming.  My boyfriend has been really great about giving me time and space to study, but the wear and tear on you will be especially difficult with kids.  Good luck!