Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: disclosure statement?  (Read 315 times)

guinnessc

• View Profile
    • Email
disclosure statement?
« on: March 10, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »
So, I am not  worried about my LSAT or my GPA so much as I am worried about the disclosure statements. I am in fact, very worried about them. I am now 22 years old and have been clean for 3 years (yes from drugs, I know I'm an idiot). When I was 19, I was arrested for PCS (controlled substance) which is a Class 4 felony. I was given a  deferred prosecution agreement alleging that upon completion of the probationary term, the matter will be completely dismissed. Does the fact that I have completed treatment, attend meetings regularly, completely stayed out of trouble, done well in school, and done volunteer work have any merit? I have no idea how law school admission people look at this type of thing. I have nothing in my history pertaining to any kind of fraud, violence, or DUI. My main problem was a particular drug. I do not have any desire to misrepresent myself and in a way feel proud of how far I have come from where I was just a few years back. Also, I am sure the BAR in any state can pull all of my information including juvenile charges (have a couple of those as well nothing serious). I guess my questions are, When I say I have not been convicted of a felony (that's all some places ask) am I lying? I don't feel that I am , because the matter was dismissed. I understand that I will still have an arrest record, but typically isn't there a huge difference between charged and convicted even in they eyes of law school admission people? Could the fact that I have overcome the problem actually help me in any way or will it be a detriment in the majority of cases? Or will it not matter so much since it was 3 years ago now and will have been 4-5 years ago by the time I apply to law school? I will not give up, I just am extremely worried about this and was hoping someone could help me put this matter to rest.

sollicitus

Re: disclosure statement?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:40:01 PM »
I see these type of concerns a lot. Just disclose EVERYTHING.

YES try to explain it and show how you are a good person but DISCLOSE.

When in doubt, better to spill more beans than less.