Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decisions, decisions! Upcoming deadlines.  (Read 513 times)

howardhowardhoward

  • Guest
Decisions, decisions! Upcoming deadlines.
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Many deadlines for seat deposits and condition program deposits are coming up.  It seems the majority of mine are due by April 1st.  Any suggestions as to how to deal with this if I am still waiting to hear back from 8 schools? 

Also, does anyone have any experience with Nova Southeastern's AAMPLE program or with Loyola New Orleans Summer Conditional Program? 

Jhuen_the_bird

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 800
    • View Profile
Re: Decisions, decisions! Upcoming deadlines.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Jeez, how many schools did you apply to?  Anyway... It depends on where you want to go.  I would choose the school out of the ones where I had been accepted where I wanted to go the most and pay that deposit ... Then you can wait and se if you get into what I assume is a preferable school if /when you get in there.

legend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Decisions, decisions! Upcoming deadlines.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
Many students have this dilemma and what you should do is pay the deposit at the school that accepted you that you wouldn't mind attending. You want to have a seat somewhere. If a preferable school accepts you after the deposit payment then go there, and unfortunately you will lose your $500-700 deposit if you get into the preferable school,  but that is only a drop in the bucket for law school costs. The most important thing is to have a seat come August, and the reality is if schools haven't gotten back to you yet that you will be rejected or wait listed.

I would wait until the day before the deposits are due though just in case it is early march so a few letters could come rolling in and no need to rush it just don't miss the deadline. I paid a deposit to a school then got off a wait list somewhere else back in my day and it is $700 I will never see again. So your situation is not uncommon, but what the poster above and I said is your best options. I know it would be better to get accepted with a full scholarship to every school, but sadly not the way it goes.

Good luck to you.


howardhowardhoward

  • Guest
Re: Decisions, decisions! Upcoming deadlines.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
Thank you!  You are right, I have heard it is common for students to lose out on one or two seat deposits while waiting on other schools or decisions.  Yesterday I also received a conditional offer from New York Law School, which I am definitely considering; it has some incentives, one of the two classes I would take in the five week period I have experience with already, and it is in a preferable location (northeast).  May make this deposit for the conditional program, then a partial deposit at a school I have been accepted at already to ensure I have somewhere to go if AAMPLE does not work out, all while I wait on four other decision (including UDC).