Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what area of law suits my background?  (Read 362 times)

Kelly Li

• GPA: 4.0 LSAT: about to take in Oct/11
    • View Profile
what area of law suits my background?
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
Hi,
I major in advertising and econ. Could anyone give me some suggestions about choosing area of law when going to law school? I don't know what area of law suits my academic background best. I heard that if you want to be a IP lawyer, you must have a tech academic background. I know that's not every case, but it seems that a tech background suits IP law best.
Thanks a lot!

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: what area of law suits my background?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
What you studied in undergrad likely isn't going to have any impact on what you choose to study in law school. Your first year is going to be packed with the same classes everyone else takes. While you may have had an interest in one area in undergrad, that will almost certainly change by the end of 1L. Only one of many people I've known who had a plan going into 1L ended up sticking to the plan, and that's because she had connections in a highly specialized area of law where connections are key. For example, one was set on criminal law and ended up studying communications law. It's all about what strikes your interest, and anything related to the law that you were exposed to in undergrad really isn't going to give you enough of a taste to really know.

As far as IP law: yeah, hard sciences are it. The patent bar isn't even an option unless you have a strong background in the sciences. While you can take the patent bar with a certain number of credits in engineering/science/technology, getting a job with an IP firm is another matter. Realistically, we're talking a Masters in Engineering or Computer Science or a Ph.D in Bio or Chemistry.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Kelly Li

• GPA: 4.0 LSAT: about to take in Oct/11
    • View Profile
Re: what area of law suits my background?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:23:04 AM »
Thanks.