Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Specialization Exams  (Read 2426 times)

sollicitus

Re: Specialization Exams
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
One specialized exam is the patent bar.  If your undergraduate work included any STEM subject courses, this bar exam might help. 

In any case, though, any government job you apply for will not be a slam dunk.  Just check out the website of any government agency.  They want you to know more than the people that already work there.  Heck, I trained and took the VITA exams.  They were tedious and the passing score was 80.  And, this was for a volunteer, part time position for the IRS.  I passed the exams that took me many hours to complete and I only work 3 hours a week; until April 16th.

I looked into VITA exams for the first time after reading your post. I for some reasons assumed it was CPA related by I guess not.
You clearly found it worth while to do despite the difficulty and no pay (you say volunteer in your post) why do it then? Are you hoping it will look good on a resume, or do you plan to practice tax law in the future and view this getting a toe into that door?

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
I feel sorry for the OP, but asking the same question repeatedly obviously isn't producing the information she(?) needs.  If there is some reason that the OP is ineligible for the bar it would be best just to be up front about it.   The mediator suggestion might work in some states, and could be a viable option.

sollicitus

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
I feel sorry for the OP, but asking the same question repeatedly obviously isn't producing the information she(?) needs.  If there is some reason that the OP is ineligible for the bar it would be best just to be up front about it.   The mediator suggestion might work in some states, and could be a viable option.

Agreed. (on both counts)

Here is more info on the Mediator idea if anyone wants more info on it.
http://www.mediationworks.com/medcert3/staterequirements.htm

Some states have almost no requirments at all. (good like finding clients if unqualified though)

crazylawstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »
I am not really sure who u are referring to as "the poster", but ive stated my situation and if you want to believe it you can, if not then don't. There are millions of people that come on to this site with questions and to make an assumption I am "this poster" or whoever you want to believe I am is not worth my time.

I went to law school but do not want to practice like a lot of people out there due to various reasons. I just wanted to know what my options were. Thanks.

sollicitus

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
I am not really sure who u are referring to as "the poster", but ive stated my situation and if you want to believe it you can, if not then don't. There are millions of people that come on to this site with questions and to make an assumption I am "this poster" or whoever you want to believe I am is not worth my time.

I went to law school but do not want to practice like a lot of people out there due to various reasons. I just wanted to know what my options were. Thanks.

You can't be this stupid. It's not humanly possible.
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/index.php?topic=4026762.0
There is your answer-Einstein. (it was DIRECTLY BELOW IN THE SAME DISTANCE LEARNING THREAD)
You know you can also click on the username and see ALL the posts of that user too right?

Note: You did not answer the question of why you can't sit the regular bar. If you don't answer this we can not help you. As predicted you will not do so though. If you want the help you asked for, stop pretending not be the EXACT SAME USER NAME IN THE EXACT SAME SECTION of this forum and just answer the questions so we can help you. Or not, whatever. You asked and started TWO THREADS about it, and now it's suddenly "not worth your time".

Jesus F'n Christ.............

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
If you don't want to practice law then you are in the wrong place. ???

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 04:19:10 AM »
Hi Sollicitus:

Yes.  I am networking, by volunteering.  After I pass the CLA exam, I will apply to the IRS, SEC, and SSA.  I was in the Air Force and intend to sell the military time I spent and retire with a government pension.
Angie

sollicitus

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
Hi Sollicitus:

Yes.  I am networking, by volunteering.  After I pass the CLA exam, I will apply to the IRS, SEC, and SSA.  I was in the Air Force and intend to sell the military time I spent and retire with a government pension.

Not a bad way to network. Lots of effort to get the extra license to do it, but if your goal is CLA that makes sense. I know people bash the EJD but do you plan to get that or an MBA with a tax law major or anything like that too?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
I seem to have terrible financial karma:  I had to leave Mercer Law School in 1988 when I did not maintain the required A average to keep a full scholarship, because I did not have enough money to pay on my own.  I did not have enough money to fly to California to retake the FYLSE in 2009.  I was accepted to a law school in 2010, but I could not come up with the money to move to Tennessee.  I could not enroll in Concord's EJD program in 2011 because the financial aide officer there determined that I only have $8000 in federal loans available to me. I could not afford to come up with Mid Atlantic's $100.00 per module JD program because I received an untimely cut in pay.  So, I had to discontinue studying with that school.  The University of Leiden has just start charging fees to enroll in its external LLD program.

The Blackstone paralegal program is one of the least expensive online programs that made me eligible to sit for the CLA exam.  I paid 59.00 down and 59.00 a month.    However, I have found that I have had to put in many, many more study hours beyond what the school offers so that I can pass the CLA exam the first time.  I have been studying for that test for 18 months now.  I think I will be ready to take the exam in September of this year.

I was successful with the VITA exams because the online training was free.

I do have a degree in accounting from Devry University; another one in languages from Hunter College; and a masters degree in social work from NYU.  I left the Air Force as a captain.

Angie

sollicitus

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
I seem to have terrible financial karma:  I had to leave Mercer Law School in 1988 when I did not maintain the required A average to keep a full scholarship, because I did not have enough money to pay on my own.  I did not have enough money to fly to California to retake the FYLSE in 2009.  I was accepted to a law school in 2010, but I could not come up with the money to move to Tennessee.  I could not enroll in Concord's EJD program in 2011 because the financial aide officer there determined that I only have $8000 in federal loans available to me. I could not afford to come up with Mid Atlantic's $100.00 per module JD program because I received an untimely cut in pay.  So, I had to discontinue studying with that school.  The University of Leiden has just start charging fees to enroll in its external LLD program.

The Blackstone paralegal program is one of the least expensive online programs that made me eligible to sit for the CLA exam.  I paid 59.00 down and 59.00 a month.    However, I have found that I have had to put in many, many more study hours beyond what the school offers so that I can pass the CLA exam the first time.  I have been studying for that test for 18 months now.  I think I will be ready to take the exam in September of this year.

I was successful with the VITA exams because the online training was free.

I do have a degree in accounting from Devry University; another one in languages from Hunter College; and a masters degree in social work from NYU.  I left the Air Force as a captain.

Not sure how the rank will help much (cpt isn't that high up the chain) but the rest gives a good background on why you chose your field. If you are gunning for the pention I think it sounds like a solid plan.

Are you too old to reup in the reserves? I ask since they'd pay for your tuition at an ABA law school.
Why couldn't you use federal student loans on the ABA law school too?