Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Specialization Exams  (Read 2466 times)

crazylawstudent

• View Profile
Specialization Exams
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
are there specialization exams that you can take for Non lawyers? for example to work in Counsel..exams that set you apart from others without having to take the bar exam and spend all that money?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Specialization Exams
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
What do you mean by "to work in Counsel?"

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »

crazylawstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »
becoming a paralegal is the last thing i want to do. i did it for so long. Ultimately i want to review contracts in employment. so basically work indirectly with the Law but not necc. go to court. are there any specialization exams i can take?

if anyone knows please reply asap.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
If you want an actual answer how about explaining your circumstances and giving some background?

crazylawstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
i have given you an actual answer.

i graduated law school with a bunch of loans. im married and dont have money to pay for the class and exam. my kids are very young and my husband lost his job due to the economy.

i love contracts employment and have been a paralegal while in law school. Paralegals dont get paid enough. I graduated with JD and just looking for some Masters/specialization exam that i can take and still do legal work indirectly whether its consulting or reviewing documents that will put me in a manager position based on my JD. I dont want to go to court and practice law.

I hope you or anyone can help me.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
You really need to take the bar and pass it.  Many lawyers never go to court so whether you want to go to court or not is irrelevant.

A Masters in Legal Studies is simply another type of paralegal degree which will just put you further in debt.

But some paralegals are well paid, work as a paralegal and study for the bar instead of looking for short cuts that simply do not exist.

If you don't like the above, try for a federal government job in procurement.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:56:34 AM »
One specialized exam is the patent bar.  If your undergraduate work included any STEM subject courses, this bar exam might help. 

In any case, though, any government job you apply for will not be a slam dunk.  Just check out the website of any government agency.  They want you to know more than the people that already work there.  Heck, I trained and took the VITA exams.  They were tedious and the passing score was 80.  And, this was for a volunteer, part time position for the IRS.  I passed the exams that took me many hours to complete and I only work 3 hours a week; until April 16th.
Angie

sollicitus

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
This poster can started this thread before and always gets the same answers but keeps asking claiming to have a JD but needing "at least one state" to take him. I say either flame or an EJD grad.

I recall he didn't want patent bar in the past (probably dosn't qualify to take it) and just recently reposted how they are somehow above being a Legal Assistant.

The only viable alternative that might work in this case would be court appointed mediator. Some states allow it without sitting the bar if you have a JD, a Masters in Conflict Resolution, or intern under a mediator for 40 hours in the last two years. (each state different)
That would probably be the closest to being a lawyer without being a lawyer that one could be, and I believe there isn't even an exam required.

Even that would require either a Masters degree or working under someone else. I doubt this poster has the connections or qualifications to find someone to work under, but the degree might work since I believe you can even get that online.

I'd mention CPA, but that is a whole other cluster that I know the poster would be somehow too good for too.

Mediator. Court appointed or sometimes agencies will have their own requirments(often even lower than the courts) In theory after doing that for a few years in you make friends with taxcourt agents they can get you licensed to practice there without a law license too if you get at least two to sponsor you.

I ask the poster to mention WHY they can't sit the regular bar. (they won't they will just keep asking the same rehashed question) but if they were honest with why, we could offer more specific help. The disqualifiers for regular license might affect other types of practice as well, need full disclosure to do any real good. Won't ever get it (even from an anonomus poster) but whatever........

sollicitus

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:01 PM »
are there specialization exams that you can take for Non lawyers? for example to work in Counsel..exams that set you apart from others without having to take the bar exam and spend all that money?

The Bar Exam is NOT expensive. It costs SOME money, but the amount of MORE money you would make as a REAL lawyer would outweigh the costs in less than a single year of practice.

Give a real answer on why you can't do it, or we can't help you. Stop being scared and just be honest with yourself (and the rest of us) for once.