Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pacific McGeorge, Sacramento, CA  (Read 1121 times)

amyis

Pacific McGeorge, Sacramento, CA
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
I would like some opinions about this school.
I have a generous offer from them that I am considering, but would like some external input.
I'm open to hearing pretty much anything including opinions about Sacramento.
I should let you know that I did not apply to any Ivy League schools and have absolutely no interest in "big law".
Thanks!

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Pacific McGeorge, Sacramento, CA
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
 Sacramento is  ok, that is as much praise or negativity as I can give it. It is the Capital of California so there are some nice government buildings, and the Sacramento Kings who might be leaving. It has nothing special to offer, but there isn't anything wrong with it either.

As for McGeorge again it is ok, but not a great part of town. It is an ABA school ranked in the middle of the pack in it's own state. However, it is the only ABA law school in Sacramento, and Sacramento is the capitol of California so there are a lot of great government internships readily available. Sacramento firms also hire from there often and most lawyers in Sacramento went to McGeorge.

If you want to live in Sacramento, which is a fine place to be than McGeorge is probably the best way to get a job in Sacramento. McGeorge graduates are also commonly found in the Bay Area or the really rural parts of Northern California.

One thing I noticed is that you got a great offer and I assume this means a scholarship offer. When getting these from schools be very, very, careful about the conditions placed on them. Many schools will say you need a 3.0 to maintain the scholarship, but this is a trick. Anyone that qualifies for an ABA law school scholarship could likely get a 3.0 in undergrad while doing a kegstand, but that is not how law school works. Most schools only allow 35% of their first year students to keep have a 3.0 and this mean 65% of first year law students don't maintain the 3.0 and lose their scholarship. It is a common occurrence as chronicled by the N.Y. times article. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?pagewanted=all . Just be careful about scholarship conditions and don't be like the students in this article, ask questions. Remember law schools are businesses and they need money if you don't look out for yourself the school certainly won't.

Overall McGeorge is a fine school and the reality is every single ABA school from Harvard to Cooley teaches you the same exact thing at least first year. The prestige, location, etc of certain schools makes a difference in post-graduate employment, but professors at almost every ABA school are excellent and highly credentialed. The law is also the same in that unlike a medical school or engineering school there is no specialized equipment. All you need are some books and the internet and you can learn the law.

If you have any more specific questions about McGeorge, Sacramento, California, feel free to personal message me.

amyis

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.
Great things to consider. I'm sure I'll have more questions later on if that's alright with you.

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »
I have heard very good things from Pacific McGeorge, and its proximity to the state capitol would most likely offer more opportunities than comparable schools elsewhere. On a personal note, I have never been a fan of Sacramento and I could see my living there long term. But for school, I would make a succession.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran