Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3 year BA when applying?  (Read 588 times)

sollicitus

3 year BA when applying?
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/3-bachelors-degrees-benefit-college-students-middle-class-202200990.html

Does anyone think that law schools will accept these 3 year BA degrees for admissions? How do you think the state bars would view them as far as "pre legal education" requirments are concerned?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3 year BA when applying?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
I suppose it depends on the particular law school. Some ABA approved law schools (Tulane comes to mind) will accept applicants who do not possess a bachelor's degree but have at least 90 units. I can't imagine that a bachelor's completed in three years would present any problems.

As far as state bars, again it depends. California only requires 60 units of undergrad work to be completed, so they'd be ok there.

sollicitus

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
I suppose it depends on the particular law school. Some ABA approved law schools (Tulane comes to mind) will accept applicants who do not possess a bachelor's degree but have at least 90 units. I can't imagine that a bachelor's completed in three years would present any problems.

As far as state bars, again it depends. California only requires 60 units of undergrad work to be completed, so they'd be ok there.

true, I was thinking more of states that requires a full BA in prelegal education. It is still legally considered a BA but with only 90 and not 120 credits. I wonder how they'd view that.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
That's a good question, seems like uncharted territory. After reading the article is still wasn't entirely clear to me how the proposed program wouls work. It sounds like their simpl doing away with some of the general ed requirements.

I'm old school on this stuff, but I think that a bachelor of arts degree should actually mean something. It should mean that you have received a well rounded, rigourous education. If colleges (and students) simply want pure vocational training thats fine, by why call it a BA? For that matter, why bother requiring three years of education? A journalism major (the example used in the article) could just take two years of journalism and writing courses and receive a certificate or associate's degree.

Actually, I've never fully understood why four-year university degrees are offered in non-academic majors anyway. People want the prestige/legitimacy that a university degree imparts without doing all that pesky studying.

sollicitus

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
I think they are aiming at doing it the way that Canadian degrees work. I have heard that many Canadian colleges offer both 3 and 4 year BA options.