Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Withdrawals affect my chances?  (Read 1294 times)

urguy

• View Profile
Withdrawals affect my chances?
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
Hello guys,

I am a computer science major at Top 30 US News. I am aiming for T14 and my LSAT has been okay. (around mid 160's and plan to take it in June)

My GPA is currently 3.75, which is pretty good as an engineer at my school. I think it's pretty competitive at T14 if I get around 170 on the actual LSAT. Well, some Ivy law schools came to our school and they said that I would be a competitive candidate.

The thing is that I have three withdrawals from my freshman and sophomore year.

The first one - I changed my major and I didn't need it
The second one - The school changed the professor in the class which I took only for the professor.
The third one - The professor stopped coming to class (seriously) and we had a sub like every day. I had no idea what grade I was getting so I dropped it because I was scared.

Also in my senior year, I pass/failed two classes.

Music and ASL (American Sign Language) - Not relevant to my major or anything. I didn't need them, but I took them because I wanted to take classes I was interested in. (My last year at college. I didn't want to have regret.) They turned out to be harder than I expected because I am no professional at either.

Do these withdrawals and P/F's affect my chances at T14?

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: Withdrawals affect my chances?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
If you can get above a 170 you'll almost certainly get accepted somewhere in atleast the back end of the T14

urguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »
Thanks!! So you don't think the withdrawals and P/F's matter much?

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »
The P/F's won't matter. The withdrawals might raise some eyebrows for the reason that you have numerous of them. But really, spend time worrying about your LSAT and that will cure all your concerns.

With your GPA, if you can get a 170, I would say your odds are good for getting into Cornell, Northwestern, Texas and Duke.  Does that mean you'll get accepted at all of them for sure? Of course not. But theres a better chance you'll get accepted at any specific one of them than that you'll get rejected, or even waitlisted for that matter.

You'll have an outside shot at schools higher in the rankings, but odds are against it.  I would guess you'll prolly get waitlisted by the rest (besides HYS).  However, you should definitly take your chances and apply anyway, ya never know!

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
I don't think the W's will matter at all. Law Schools care about numbers and W's don't affect your numbers they want to report an incoming student I.E. you has a 3.75, which is true. It wouldn't matter if you took 12 years with numerous W's to get a degree in American Music it would be a 3.75 and that is really what they will care about more than anything.

That is obviously exaggerated example and if that situation Harvard might care, but with just three W's nothing appears to out of the ordinary and schools really do care about the numbers and not the substance behind them. If that is wrong or right is another discussion, but you have a 3.75 GPA period and that is what they will report to U.S. News and LSAC.