Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD or E/JD to teach as college professor  (Read 2036 times)

USDOJ320

• View Profile
JD or E/JD to teach as college professor
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
I am looking into Concord since it is regionally and nationally accredited.  Since that is all I need to get a teaching job, is it a good choice?  Is the E/JD Criminal Justice Track considered a doctorate for professor position standards or must I go for the extra year and get JD?     

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JD or E/JD to teach as college professor
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
I am looking into Concord since it is regionally and nationally accredited.  Since that is all I need to get a teaching job, is it a good choice?  Is the E/JD Criminal Justice Track considered a doctorate for professor position standards or must I go for the extra year and get JD?     

There's no real way to say this without coming across as a jerk, but just bear with me:

1.  Most schools do not consider a JD to be on par with a Ph.d. as far as being a terminal degree for the purposes of a professorship.  Sometimes you see adjuct positions in, say, business law or maybe criminal justice that will accept it.  Of the postings I've seen, all of them require an ABA accredited JD. Not sure if Concord is or isn't.  totally unfamiliar.

2.  Of all the instutitions in the universe, colleges are more degree-conscious than most.  Maybe to teach at some distance learning college, they won't care.  Real colleges and universities almost certainly will. 

3.  It is very, very, very, very, very, very difficult to get a teaching position at a college or university with an ABA accredited JD as your academic credential.  If you didn't graduate from Harvard or Yale, it's an uphill fight and you'd better have nailed a high class rank from a T14, at a minimum, if you want to teach law.  Not sure about other disciplines, but if they're outside of the law, usually they want indications of high academic achievement.  Draw your own conclusions about the academic achievement involved with the degress you're talking about.

Don't know the particulars of what you're talking about getting, but it seems like it is considerably less than an ABA accredited JD.

I don't mean to discourage, but what I wouldn't put a lot of faith in your chances of success on this plan. 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
If you want to teach, get a real degree and some teaching experience.  Even if you want to teach online you will need experience.  EJD is a bad choice for just about any purpose.

USDOJ320

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
Thanks everyone..I am a federal agent and want to teach criminal justice courses if that helps any.  Concord is regionally accredited which is what most schools want.  Either a masters or higher in a certain degree is what the schools I am looking into want so I can teach undergrad criminal justice.  Hope that clarifies.. 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:19 PM »
If you want to teach criminal justice get a Masters in CJ. However since they pass those out like candy on Halloween, you may need a PhD to get a full time job.  And if you want to work at an actual (versus online) university or college, don't expect them to respect an online degree even if it is accredited. There is a big difference in an employer's mind between students who get a degree posting online and writing papers versus showing up for lectures and taking exams.

Your best shot might be to look into doing continuing education and training for the feds.

USDOJ320

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice Jon..appreciated! I am looking into a masters as well..just throwing around some ideas.  I also was looking at Homeland Security degrees since my specialty is homeland and couter-terrorism.  It' s just so hard with my crazy schedule to get to class. I was looking at Capella, Amercian Military U, and Wilmington U which is brick and mortor but also offers online.   

sollicitus

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
Why do we have two threads on the same subject by the same author?