Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Concord EJD or JD acceptable Doctorate in order to teach college  (Read 4798 times)

USDOJ320

• View Profile
I am interested in attending Concord for several reasons to include time and money.  My ultimate goal is to teach college courses and I see that Concord has an EJD as well.  Are either the  JD or EJD acceptable?  Concord is DETC and since it's part of Kaplan, I understand it is regionally accredited as well from what I understand.  Most schools require a regionally accreditied terminal degree such as a Phd or Doctorate.     Any information is appreciated.

ipscientific

• View Profile
Re: Concord EJD or JD acceptable Doctorate in order to teach college
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
I am interested in attending Concord for several reasons to include time and money.  My ultimate goal is to teach college courses and I see that Concord has an EJD as well.  Are either the  JD or EJD acceptable?  Concord is DETC and since it's part of Kaplan, I understand it is regionally accredited as well from what I understand.  Most schools require a regionally accreditied terminal degree such as a Phd or Doctorate.     Any information is appreciated.

This is a good question. I would contact the school that you want to teach at and ask them.

sollicitus

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
If it is regionally accredited it might be worth it. (for sure not if only detc though if your goal is mainstream academia)

I don't know if the major is a good idea though if being a Prof is your goal. What do you want to be a Prof of? If you are looking into teaching law they will want a licensed and seasoned attorney to teach.

Why not looking into a EdD degree of a Phd in a science/math field?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
Ask yourself, why would would you be qualified to teach anything when all you have is an online degree and who would hire you with no teaching or legal experience?

Additionally, ask yourself how much an online adjunct instructor earns since that would be your only hope.

Psst - An online adjunct gets around $1500 a class.  You will be paying back that student loan for a long time.

EJD - rotfl!  EJD is a vanity degree.

USDOJ320

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
I'd like to teach criminal justice since I am a seasoned federal agent with many years in federal law enforcement.  I figured a master's of higher since that is what most schools are looking for.  I have taught as far a training federal law enforcement, just not in a college setting

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
Masters is the minimum entry point for most adjunct jobs.

sollicitus

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
I'd ask your superiors what degrees they have. I'd aim for whatever those are.

Do any of them have the EJD?

GlenRPierre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
An EJD is the biggest crock of s*** out of Concord yet.  Don't waste your time--employers will probably laugh you out of the room (or not, because they probably won't even call you for an interview with that "degree.")   If you're going online, try to find an online program of a REPUTABLE institution.  Much safer.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
Adjunct work usually does not pay so well, even with a relevant PhD.  Figure $1500 a class online or otherwise to start.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Besides my "normal" job, I also have served as an adjunct professor in the recent past.  It does not pay well, but I like teaching and it is fun to associate with people just entering the profession.  That being said, I doubt that a EJD will enhance your chances of obtaining an adjunct teaching position, but if you have a law enforcement degree and considerable experience - that will likely be viewed more significantly than a degree which many in academic circles find questionable (the EJD).  Just my experience, YMMV.