Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which of these options do you think would be best for me?

Suffolk (sticker)
 0 (0%)
NY Law (full tuition scholarship)
 4 (80%)
UBalt (10k/yr)
 0 (0%)
Touro (full tuition scholarship)
 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Suffolk v NYLS v UBalt v Touro  (Read 1130 times)

Ms.IndoRican

• View Profile
Suffolk v NYLS v UBalt v Touro
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Hey, there!
My cycle is almost over and so far these are the schools I have gotten into.

Stats:
3.2 UGPA, 157 LSAT
URM

I'm still waiting to hear from St. John's, Northeastern, and a few other places and was wait-listed at Hofstra (the other places I was wait-listed don't really have that much appeal to me anymore).

Which of the options I do currently have do you think is the best way to go?

FWIW, I'm interested in real estate law and perhaps doing some government work.

I guess it's easier for me to just ask the question this way--
In terms of what you think would be a good call for me, how would you rank the following schools?
Suffolk (sticker)
Northeastern (sticker)
St. John's (sticker)
Hofstra (sticker)
Baltimore (10k)
NYLS (full ride)
Touro (full ride)

Thanks a bunch! :)
In: Touro ($), Suffolk, NYLS ($), Baltimore ($), Hofstra
Out: Catholic, GWU, CUNY
WL: American, Temple
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<Insert witty quote here>

IClawstud

• View Profile
Re: Suffolk v NYLS v UBalt v Touro
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
What I find very interesting is I seem to be as close to an identical applicant as physically possible. I too have a 3.2 UGPA and 157 LSAT and a URM. Ironically I have not heard back from NYLS yet, and conversely I was awarded a $10,000 scholarship from Hofstra.
I have visited NYLS and Suffolk and I have to say I liked them both. I also have a close friend at hofstra undergrad so know the area very well and don't care to much for it. That's not to say they don't have an excellent law school. As for comparing suffolk and nyls, they were different schools each with their own pro's and con's. However graduating law school was no debt is a no brainer when considering comparable schools. I do believe that NYLS has a residential real estate program. I am from Long Island myself and don't know much about Turro law other than the fact it's in suffolk county so I wouldn't even consider it.

Best of luck

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
It is great you got scholarships, but be very careful about the conditions imposed on them. Often it will be something along the lines of maintaining above a 3.0, which every law students thinks will be easy. Unfortunately, law school grading is unlike undergrad and only 35% of the class can get a 3.0 generally. See this New York Times article on the subject. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?pagewanted=all

I would choose the school with the least restrictive conditions if everything else is the same. If there are no conditions attached to keeping your full ride go there!

Also location is a key factor, because with these schools you are very likely to end up in the location they are located. I am sure U Baltimore does fine in Baltimore, but people outside of Baltimore have regional schools to draw from. Same with Hofstra, NYLS, etc. All are fine schools, but your people from L.A. aren't going to fly out to recruit from NYLS etc.

Good luck!

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Agree totally with legend.  Take the free JD... none of those schools are that much different.