Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Really old new mom  (Read 662 times)

Wintertime

• View Profile
    • Email
Really old new mom
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
I'm a 41 yr old new mom and I'm far from making the money I need to have the lifestyle and opportunities I want for myself and my family. I hear everyone saying that after law school, you will make less money than you do now. Well, I doubt that is my situation. I have a mid level government job in an interesting area but no opportunity for advancement. I have considered law school my entire life but never had the tools or support. It seems to me that people I cross in my field who have a law degree, are catapaulted to the top of our field even though they are not doing anything remotely related to law. I;m interested why no one talks about that possibilty. Get a law degree and then just continue in your field but with far more credentials and clout. If I could just be at the top of my field and salary range for my field I would be happy. And many people have masters degrees in Public Administration, etc. so getting a degree like that woudln't give me a lew up. I think a law degree would. Please tell me what you think? Oh and can you gop to Law School part time?

sollicitus

Re: Really old new mom
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
At your age you won't want to move to go to law school, so you will want to see if the local ones are what you want.

Some offer part time. Some even weekends and evenings as slow as two classes at a time. Some even online(CA only)
What state are you in? Is it important to you to be able to practice after graduation or do you just want a law degree for non lawyer work such as civil service? (if so a masters degree in legal studies may be better and can be done on campus or online)

Have you taken the lsat? What was your undergrad GPA and how old is your BA?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
I agree, an accredited online Masters in Legal Studies or Masters in Public Administration can be had in two years. That should do the trick for a public employee.  Law degree would be overkill unless one actually wanted to be a  - lawyer.

CWFirm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:19:59 PM »
Wintertime, make sure you look into government assistance for adult education. Sorry if this is getting too personal, but are you single? Your ability to get government money for school is vastly different if you are a single mother.

sollicitus

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »
Wintertime, make sure you look into government assistance for adult education. Sorry if this is getting too personal, but are you single? Your ability to get government money for school is vastly different if you are a single mother.

better or worse, and if so how?