Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England Law Boston  (Read 1347 times)

legality90

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
New England Law Boston
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
I was recently accepted to NESL and need to know more about this school. I am really worried about the whole job placement scene after graduating because it is surrounded by biggies like Harvard, BU etc.

My lsat score sucks but my GPA is good.

I am a finishing my Law degree in India so I will be a lawyer before coming to USA. I have a professional. work experience of 1 year.

I am still waiting to hear from many other universities. Hamline has put me on waitlist.

anyway, I need to know how is the grading scale of this school and how difficult can it be to be in top 10% of the class. Mostly importantly, if you are in top 10% how is your job prospectus ? In my case, I am just hoping for some international firm being interested me as I already have one law degree from a top Indian University but don't know if it really gives me an extra edge over other American graduates who will be passing out with me and especially looking at the current legal scenario of USA.

Is there anyone out there who is actually working currently after passing out from this school? do you get internships in summers while studying at this school?

You can also reply if you are a current student or know anything about this school whatsoever. Thanks!

legend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »
 I do know one guy from New England law who is a really good attorney. As far as being in the top 10% that is difficult to do at any school and there is a 90% chance you won't be in the top 10%. Nothing against you, but just the reality of the situation. People from any ABA school find internships/externships while in school, but getting an associate position after graduation is the difficult part, but people do it. Law school is no guarantee of anything and New England will be in competition with Harvard, Boston U, Boston College, and many other top schools from around the country, because many people want to live in Boston. I am sure New England law has worked out for many people and has not worked out for many others.

legality90

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
this attorney you referred to, was he a recent graduate ?

mehh, I am so confused...besides, I live so far!

I read that third tier reality blog, don't know up to what extent it is true  but its kinda scary!

legend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
He graduated five years ago class of 2007. Third tier reality/jd underground etc are not sites you should pay attention to. If people sit around and complain on an internet website all day that is likely the reason they are struggling. New England is not Harvard or anywhere close to it, but you can succeed from any ABA school although success is subjective. If you are expecting to be a Federal Clerk or First year associate at Covington, White & Case, etc then don't go to New England or anything less than a top 25 maybe top 50 school. If you could be a City Attorney, D.A, P.D, Family Lawyer, Small/Mid Size Civil Litigation, Research Attorney, etc then New England can work out fine.

You also mention it is far away. Why not go to school in a location closer to you? The most important thing when choosing a school outside of the T14 is usually location. A

legality90

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:29:58 AM »
Oh I mentioned earlier I guess that I am an international applicant and I stay in India.

Advantage for me is I am a lawyer in India almost ( 2 months go)

and I don't mind a small job to begin with because eventually the experience is counted and that will open up many great opportunities in the future.

Indian legal market is pretty much the same but the firms hire their own kids to their firm so even though I am from a top law school here, if I stay back even I'd be in a small firm or something. Anyway I want to come and study JD so I am focusing on that now.

How difficult would it be to find a paralegal's job or basically a corporate job because I am sort of planning to get a job and shift to the part time but I know its very difficult and everything, I am still gonna try.

what are the average salaries of city attorney or a family lawyers you mentioned earlier?

legend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
City Attorney's vary I would say starting in a big city like SF, NY you would get 60k or so and then get a few thousand dollar raises year by year. I know in NY City Attorney at 5 years you make 79k a year at least that is what it was a few years ago.

Family Law you can make a lot or a little, just depends on how many normal financially able clients you are able to attract.

As for the family thing you mentioned it is not much different in America. Most people have family, friends, or friends of friends they would prefer to hire than a stranger. That is just the way the world works, but plenty of people succeed, and plenty do not. Good luck to you.

yongsoo

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 238
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
If you want to work in MA in family law, small non-profs, or western/central MA, then NESL may be an option. If you want to work in Boston, you're going to face a steep uphill battle.

In the Boston area, you have:
Harvard
Boston College
Boston University
Suffolk University
Northeastern University
New England School of Law

UMass Dartmouth (as of 2010) - though on the south shore, I imagine its grads would also look for work in Boston.

Those are just the MA law schools. Nevermind that many people may have attended UG in the area and may have gone on to high tiered schools but want to come back to Boston. Boston is a hard market to break into, if you don't have any ties to the area. Someone who went to Harvard, MIT or Wellesley and then went to an out of state Tier 1 law school, would probably be more competitive in the Boston area for firm jobs than someone who is only here to attend NESL. It sounds elitist but that's the profession.

If you have a comfy job in India, I'd stay there as a lawyer. A lot of work is being outsourced to India, and the market is probably better there for it.

jbean29

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New England Law Boston
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
I looked into New England Law, I don't think its a great choice. It is extremely expensive in combination with Boston's high COL, you are in competition with all of those non four tier schools, unless you are getting a significant amount of money from them, I wouldn't go there. On top of everything else they are about to get sued for lying about their after post graduation employment stats:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/twenty-more-law-schools-targeted-for-class-action-lawsuits/

Did you apply to CUNY? You sound like a great candidate for them considering you are already an attorney in India. If not they extended their application deadline to April 15th so you have a few days to get it together for them.

Good luck!