Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible for attorney to take 10 years off from work to be a stay at home mom?  (Read 782 times)

Jennifer37

• View Profile
I'm considering becoming an attorney but also want to stay at home with my children when they are young. Is it likely that a woman could return to work as an lawyer after many years off? Are there any specialties that might be better for this than others? I might not mind working a few hours a week maybe as a volunteer or paralegal during that time. If I took time off and then was rehired would I probably start at a salary that is lower that it was when I quit the previous one? Thank you for the answers. 

LincolnLover

It depends. How much college do you already have? If you don't have any college yet and want to get it online (undergrad through JD) it will take about ten years anyways.

Jennifer37

• View Profile
I am a senior in college majoring in general studies. My corse of studies has been changed many times, and I'm taking a part-time corse load this semester just to research different careers and grad programs.

LincolnLover

would the "ten years" start now or after completion of gradschool?

Jennifer37

• View Profile
They would start after I completed law school.

LincolnLover

why that big of a gap that late then? If I were a feminist (I'm not I'm a dude) I'd be put off by the idea since it seems more of a want and less of a need.

Do these kids even exist yet, or are they just being planned for?(nothing wrong with a plan just asking) and if alive, how old?

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith

How do you plan to make loan payments? How do you plan to study for the bar ten years after leaving law school, as a stay-at-home parent? How do you plan to find a job when employers tend to focus on, if not current students, recent graduates?
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Jennifer37

• View Profile
Sorry if anything I typed was misleading. There will be no children for at least a few years after graduation! Lol. I am a returning college student that is 29 years old. There are lots of things about being a lawyer than sound good, but as you mentioned many clients prefer to hire recent graduates, it is an extreemly competitive field and takes several years to build up a client base, etc. The majorty of my f/t career would start in my late 40's- early 50's. Would it be possible for me to take many years off and then return later? Are there any fields within law that would be better than others?

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anything is possible, but this would be really risky.  I mean, I'm an attorney (since 2010) and most of us are struggling in this economy... Even more experienced attorneys are struggling.  Who knows how the career will change in 10+ years, but if you aren't actively along for the ride, it might be near impossible to re-enter after 10 yrs off... Especially with 0 attorney experience under your belt.  I mean, new attorneys know nothing about practicing law (I promise this is true).  I can't imagine trying to practice after forgetting even what I learned in law school after many years.

Personally, I think it's a horrible idea.  Why do you need to stay home w kids?  Kids need working, productive parents.  It's too difficult to survive financially with only one income per family these days.

LincolnLover

If no college, is there even a current husband, or do you plan to meet him between now and then?

Sorry if anything I typed was misleading. There will be no children for at least a few years after graduation! Lol. I am a returning college student that is 29 years old. There are lots of things about being a lawyer than sound good, but as you mentioned many clients prefer to hire recent graduates, it is an extreemly competitive field and takes several years to build up a client base, etc. The majorty of my f/t career would start in my late 40's- early 50's. Would it be possible for me to take many years off and then return later? Are there any fields within law that would be better than others?