Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is getting a law degree worth it if you work in a government agency?  (Read 3633 times)

smac854

• View Profile
Re: Is getting a law degree worth it if you work in a government agency?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »
So it seems like most people are advising the MS in Legal Studies as an option.  Does this Masters have much value?  I understand why people are advising against the EJD program and I am assuming a ABA JD would really not be worth the time either as again I have no interest in practicing law but have an interest in law and feel that having a greater understanding of the legal field would help me in my job when reading legislation and making forecasts about the fiscal impact of the legislation.  I have heard from others before that one should only go to law school if they want to be a lawyer and it seems that this is what others seem to be mentioning here.  Would a Masters in Legal Studies be worth it if I already have a MBA or would a certificate program be better? 

sollicitus

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »
Any degree that you can afford is always worth it in the sense that you gain knowledge that you can apply to your personal life and bring with  you to the job. Whether or not it would help you get promoted depends on the job itself. You being in that field would have better access to that knowledge than we would. Look at the qualifications of your superiors. What degrees do they tend to have? Whatever those are, probably are the ones that would help promote you the fastest.

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:13 AM »
Any degree that you can afford is always worth it in the sense that you gain knowledge that you can apply to your personal life and bring with  you to the job. Whether or not it would help you get promoted depends on the job itself. You being in that field would have better access to that knowledge than we would. Look at the qualifications of your superiors. What degrees do they tend to have? Whatever those are, probably are the ones that would help promote you the fastest.

Well said Sollicitus.