Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is getting a law degree worth it if you work in a government agency?  (Read 3654 times)

smac854

• View Profile
I currently work for a government agency and work a lot with state lawmakers where a lot of my job is involved in determining government policy based on the legislation that is passed by the state government. Would getting a law degree be worth it to help enhance my skill set in this field? I have no interest in practicing but think that the degree would help me with the regulatory side of legislation. I already have an MBA and am wondering if a law degree would help me the government work that I do or would a non-bar JD help.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is getting a law degree worth it if you work in a government agency?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »
Waste of time and money, non bar law degrees are a joke IMO.

LincolnLover

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
Whatever the specific field is that your agency is in, get a PhD in that.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:03:26 AM »
A PhD is not what you need, that is more an academic degree. A Masters in Legal Studies can be obtained from an accredited online school like Kaplan University if you think you need training in the law. An unaccredited JD however will just empty your wallet and be viewed with suspicion.

MissMelissRoths03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »
I agree with jonlevy. You should receive an accredited degree even if it just a masters. A degree without accreditation will not get you anywhere. It will waste your money and you won't be any better of than you were before.

LincolnLover

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »
By "nonbar" JD she probably means "accredited" but the "executive JD" idea. Jon's example school (and others) I believe off that. I believe what she wants to know is if such an accredited nonbar JD would help her and be worth her time/money to get?

I agree with jonlevy. You should receive an accredited degree even if it just a masters. A degree without accreditation will not get you anywhere. It will waste your money and you won't be any better of than you were before.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »
An executive JD in my opinion is suspect. While Taft and Concord offer EJDs, I would question if those are actually regionally accredited degrees, the Taft one is for sure not.  And real attorneys will laugh their asses off at you when your back is turned.

LincolnLover

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
Yes but in a non "real attorney" job (govt) like she stated, would it be at least better than no additional degree at all?

An executive JD in my opinion is suspect. While Taft and Concord offer EJDs, I would question if those are actually regionally accredited degrees, the Taft one is for sure not.  And real attorneys will laugh their asses off at you when your back is turned.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
Not if you had to work with "real" attorneys.  You would be viewed as some sort of charlatan.

LincolnLover

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
By that theory wouldn't most ABA grads view online grads the same way anyways?

Not if you had to work with "real" attorneys.  You would be viewed as some sort of charlatan.