Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Arizona V. Syracuse  (Read 756 times)

Jfong

• View Profile
University of Arizona V. Syracuse
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »
I have been admitted to law school at the Univeristy of Arizona and Syracuse.  I have in-state tuition at U of A and it's a top 50 school, however this is where I completed my undergrad.  Syracuse appeals to me because of the location, but I am aware of its ranking.  However, it does seem to have a more notable collection of alumni compared to the U of A.  Any thoughts on which school I should attend in the fall?  I'm having an incredibly difficult time deciding.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: University of Arizona V. Syracuse
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
U of A all day.
Easy.

bobol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:22:05 AM »

In my opinion this is a no brainer- Arizona is a better choice for you.

There will be substantially better job prospect in Arizona than Upstate New York.  Also Arizona's in state tuition will be far less than $yracu$e's.

Good luck.

JBrien

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
In making your decision you have to consider two main questions:

1)  Where in the geographic United States do you want to practice law?  Geographic location is a very significant concern for choosing a law school.  It is wise to choose a school that is close geographically to where you want to practice law.  There are several reasons for this; i) each law school leans their academic lessons towards the geographic area where the school is located, and ii) the school’s alumni powerbase will be located in its surrounding jurisdiction, which will help you obtain employment with a judge (clerkship) or private law firm upon graduation.

Thus, if you are sure you want to practice in AZ then don't go to Syracuse.  If you definitely want to practice law on the east coast then you should probably go to Syracuse. 

2) What is your financial situation?  This is major concern for many graduates of law school...  long term debt can be a killer if you do not manage it properly, and worse yet may handcuff you to a job you hate (but pays well). 

So if your family is paying for your law school education, or if you are personally wealthy, then make your decision based on question #1 above.  If money is a significant concern, and you will be taking on a lot of debt you should definitely save the money and stay in AZ.
Overall, do not make your law school decision based on the quantity of the alumni who have had noteworthy careers.  Your decision should be 100% based on YOUR personal situation and where you want to practice. 

Check out these two pages with a more in depth explanation:

http://www.Become-a-Lawyer.com/Law-school-rankings.html

http://www.Become-a-Lawyer.com/Pre-law-skill-set-and-how-to-become-a-lawyer.html

Hope this helps!

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
Good Post by JBrien above.

Location is one of the most important factors to consider. On top of the alumni being in that area law school doesn't exist in a vaccuum and I imagine upstate New York and Arizona are very different atmospheres and you will in those areas for a minimum of thee years. During those three years you will get an apartment, friends, a relatinship if you don't have one already, restaurants you like, and you just overall will get settled in to these places and it will be difficult to leave. I know plenty of people do, but with 100k in debt hanging over your head and with the job market the way it is you are probably going to stay local to start your career. Then you will start somewhere and your roots will be dug deeper into that location making it harder to leave. New York and Arizona are different places, and which one you enjoy more is a very personal decision that only you can make.

On top of that another factor to consider is just the atmospehere of the school. Certain schools have reputations for being very competitive, friendly, etc. If the sterotypes are true I don't know, but certailny when you walk into a school and meet the students, admins, professors you will get a sense of the school morale, culture, and so on. Each place has a different feel and there were a few places I loved when I was choosing and others that just rubbed me the wrong way. What rubbed me the wrong way might have really impressed someone else. So visit the schools and see how you feel about them, because you are the one that will be there for 3 years. If you can't stand a place for a day or two visit you won't last there for 3 years.

The monetary situation is something to consider and I know Syracuse is one of the most expensive law schools in the country. Although they are ridiculously overpriced, I remember Syracuse being 5-10k more than most. If you can get in-state tuition at Arizona that is a huge factor in their favor, but if your not an Arizona resident I imagine they will heavily charge you for tuition, but you can find that out on LSAC. If you can get in-state tuition for year two and three that can save you a lot of money, but determine if that is really a possiblity.

Final thing there is no RIGHT CHOICE when making your law school decision. It is a difficult one, but whatever you decide you will never know what would have happened the other way. Still if you get an ABA degree you can have a successful legal career, and odds are it will work out wherever you go, but as JBrien said location is a huge factor and the costs are also something to consider. However, you know your situation better than any anonymous poster on the internet and listen to your gut when making the decision. That usually has your best interest at heart and a lot of times it is hard to listen to, but it is usually right.

Good luck to you in law school!

VeroMcLean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:07:20 AM »
Hey I am a new comer on this forum.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment", Buddha

Henri_Allen

• View Profile
    • Estate and Succession Planning
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »
Debt is a huge consideration. I realize that may not be of much concern to those of you from wealthy backgrounds, but it can be a killer to those of us who had to foot the full bill of education. I say go for the cheaper in-state option.