Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to expect?  (Read 500 times)

JAWpatentlaw

• View Profile
What to expect?
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »
I am in my last semester of my undergrad.  My major is Mechanical Engineering and I have a cumulative GPA of 3.73 and a major GPA of 3.86.  I scored a 152 on my first LSAT and a 156 on my second try, both about 4 points below what I was expecting[I have always struggled on standardized tests].  I have been working for an engineering firm as an intern for the last 2 1/2 years, and do not have many extracurricular activities.  I applied to ten schools.

Akron - accepted and given 18,000/yr scholarship
Cleveland State - accepted and given 16,000/yr scholarship
Case Western Reserve - ?
Capital - ?
Pittsburgh - ?
Ohio State - ?
Cincinatti - ?
UC Hastings - ?
St. Johns - ?
Notre Dame - ?

I have been on horumd, law school predictor, and the LSAC website, but those websites do not take into account undergraduate major, work experience, etc.  What are my chances of being accepted into the schools listed above that I have not heard back from yet, and if I do get accepted do I have scholarship oppurtunites?

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: What to expect?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »
Lawschoolnumbers.com is the best site to answer these questions. You can see how much scholarship money was awarded, majors, etc granted it is not moderated by anyone, but it is pretty reliable not many people take the time to make a fake profile.

The other question is why such geographic difference in  schools? Location should almost always be your #1 priority when choosing schools of the caliber you have listed.

JAWpatentlaw

• View Profile
Re: What to expect?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
I live in northeast ohio.  As you can see 6 schools that I applied to are in ohio, Pittsburgh is only an hour away from me, Notre Dame is one of the best schools in the midwest region, and I just applied to st. johns and uc hastings because they gave me fee waivers.  If accepted in all of the schools that I applied to, I would choose them in the following order [I think]:

1.  Notre Dame (I'm not expecting to be accepted)
2.  Ohio State [a bit of a reach, but this is my #1 realistic choice]
3a. Akron [close and has a good ip program, plus they gave me 18,000/yr]
3b. Case Western Reserve [I like the location and have decent ranking, but 40,000/yr tuition is bad so I would need scholarship]
3b. Pittsburgh [Good location, decent school, don't like out of state tuition]
6. Cleveland State [out of running really because already got accepted into akron]
7. Cincinatti [good school but farther away then I would like]
8. Capital
9. UC Hastings [I like California]
10.  St. Johns