Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RWU Graduate  (Read 1186 times)

lawyer570

• View Profile
    • Email
RWU Graduate
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
I happened to see a post about this site on someone's facebook and decided to check it out.  It seems as though RWU Law has been put through the ringer here.  So I figured I'd give my perspective. 

I had no plans on going to a 4th tier school, although now it's called something else I believe, but I was offered a scholarship and so I went to check it out.  I have never felt such a fit somewhere as I did when I went to visit RWU Law.  The students I spoke to were incredibly helpful, very down to earth, and very honest about what I could expect.  The professors were great - I walked through the wing where their offices were and was greeted by a few professors prepared to answer the billions of questions I had for whomever would allow me the chance to ask. 

And that never changed the three years I was there.  First year was extremely tough.  It's grueling; it zaps your energy and sometimes even your joy.  But it was also exciting - there was a lot of competition, but not the backstabbing I had heard can often go on when law students are competing for the top spots.  I never had any problem getting notes if I missed a class or having someone IM me an answer if I was called on and stuck in class.  I never had a problem approaching a professor with a question about class, and would often get a more indepth answer than I would have thought they would give.  People care at this school, and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much.  I'm sure here, just as much at any school you'd attend, the journey is what you make of it.  If I hadn't sought out help, if I hadn't built relationships with other students and professors, if I hadn't pushed myself - law school probably wouldn't have been the same. 

I never had a problem finding a summer internship and the work I found was very rewarding and challenging.  There were clubs and activities in many different areas.  The area I was most interested in did not have an established "society," so I started it.  I'm happy to say it is still thriving.  I had heard third year would be boring.  I can also attest to the fact that my experience was completely the opposite.  I got into the criminal defense clinic and my education became real, requiring much more time than the credits I received for the class. 

I had a post-graduate clerkship lined up before my third year started.  I know that is more unusual than not, and that I was very lucky.  To be honest, I do know many people that are currently working from side job to side job, but I think a lot of that is the economy, not a reflection of the school because I also know quite a few people with big firm jobs that I graduated with. 

I do not think any school can guarantee you employment when you get out of law school, and you more than likely will not get rich practicing law.  But, just as with anything, it is what you make of it.  You cannot expect anyone to hand you things just because you graduated law school; not even if you graduate from a big name school.  You have to work for it.  I can honestly say, I worked hard, I enjoyed school, and I'm doing just fine.   

Unbiased

• View Profile
A Parent's View- updated
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
I wrote the Parent's View that appears below almost two years ago.  Now my second daughter just received her acceptance letter and scholarship notice from RWU Law so I decided to search the web for recent news about RWU Law and stumbled across this site again.

My first daughter passed the CT bar and is very happy with her work and is in line for partner.  She recently had a performance review and her salary just broke six figures.  She is currently preparing to take the CPA exam.  Her work involves estate planning, business planning (including business valuations) and to a limited degree some litigation.  The litigation is centered more around contracts than torts. 

My second daughter has received nothing but positive comments from daughter #1 regarding the quality of education and training at RWU Law and the ability to practice in the "real world".

It is not my decision to make, and WE have not heard from all of the schools she has applied to, but WE are taking a very hard look at RWU Law again.

I would also encourage prospective students and their parents to look at a relatively new analytical approach using scholarly production.  That may be found at, et al:
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2008/09/roger-williams.html