Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 5175 times)

like_lasagna

• View Profile
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:17 AM »
good post bro, sounds like you sure know a lot about the legal market

don't go to Cooley

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:49 AM »
The argument that those still in school are having a "hell of a time" finding work is just dumb. Of course they are, they have no experience. Have them crawl back to daddy and sleep on his couch while they suck on their thumb and cry while posting on LSD how hard life is and how better they are than others.

Pay your dues, move up the ranks, or kill youself. Either way.Fuckit.  :'(

What may be obvious to you is not obvious to the many that frequent these boards. 

Further, your comment that the argument that students are having a "hell of a time" finding work is dumb because they lack experience is misguided.  The same comment surely could not have been made in 2007, where bigger lawfirms were hiring virtually anyone in the T14 with a pulse.

People realize that the economy is bad, but I'm not sure that they also realize things are equally bad - if not moreso - for attorneys.  People often tell me that they want to go to law school to "ride out the recession."  I laugh in their faces.

whyohwhy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
The employment for graduating JDs is low and has been for sometime. As a student at TMCLS, I have seen many land good jobs and many unable to do so. This is similar for friends I have at other schools.

I do not think that someone will not hire you because you went to TMCLS, what will hinder them is how the students behave and how they present themselves that will hinder anyone from TMCLS in getting a job. When you admit the unadmitable on a regular basis, the interns you send into the field give most anyone a poor taste and lunacy that is the student body of Cooley. Students that appear to be nearly retarded, students that do not shower, students that try to sleep with anything that moves, students that turn checkers into chess at every opportunity, and students that, when asked, simply cannot answer basic legal questions. This is what gives Cooley a bad name.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
I just hopped on wnj.com.

Why?  Because they have 220 attorneys and are based in Michigan.  The "Attorney" tab lets you sort by schools attended.

At that firm, four of 220 attorneys attended Cooley. 

Their graduation years
1983 (partner)
2009 (staff attorney)
1979 (senior counsel)
1988 (senior counsel).

I know that is a pretty big firm for Michigan, but it still provides some insight on the market.  Look at the gap in graduation years.

Now, I don't have time to add them all up (because it includes undergrad universities in the search), but I can tell you there are SUBSTANTIALLY more from Wayne State and Michigan State than cooley.

Finally, there are 10 people who graduate from the top ten from cooley every year.   Only one person who graduated from Cooley Law School in the last 26 years currently works at that firm.  The best students at cooley either didn't try to work at this firm or didn't get hired.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »

Bottom line:  this is a very, very highly competitive hiring market.  Employers want a great law school and class rank.  Class Rank is not easy to come by in any ABA accredited school, including Cooley.  If you pick Cooley, you're probably going to feel some additional difficulty at graduation when it comes to get a job.

Personally, I have nothing against the school.  However, it's foolish to think that there isn't a stigma to it.

I too have nothing against Cooley (or against any law school or especially law school grad), but Falcon's points are worth considering.  The law is extremely status-conscious, especially when one is first starting.  (Once in practice, however, that consciousness is transformed into one primarily of reputation.)

For all, where you are is where you are.  The point is that you must focus your energies in useful ways.  This ought to be a throwaway statement, but given how poorly most students "study," it is not.  As the school year is just underway, now is the time to challenge yourself on how you go about everything you do, whether that's in the LSAT, applying to law school, or doing well in law school.

Also, simply going to a "lesser" school is not going to automatically help in class rank.  Some star applicants end up in the bottom half of the class.  This should reinforce just how serious the point is about one's approach *in* law school . . . which is and remains crucially important to the OP's question.

Thane.

cooley3L

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
The employment for graduating JDs is low and has been for sometime. As a student at TMCLS, I have seen many land good jobs and many unable to do so. This is similar for friends I have at other schools.

I do not think that someone will not hire you because you went to TMCLS, what will hinder them is how the students behave and how they present themselves that will hinder anyone from TMCLS in getting a job. When you admit the unadmitable on a regular basis, the interns you send into the field give most anyone a poor taste and lunacy that is the student body of Cooley. Students that appear to be nearly retarded, students that do not shower, students that try to sleep with anything that moves, students that turn checkers into chess at every opportunity, and students that, when asked, simply cannot answer basic legal questions. This is what gives Cooley a bad name.
Wow. The self rightous student who hates everyone and feels better than everyone student and/or staff, especially those having sex..........high school and undergrad must have been a treat for you.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »

Wow. The self rightous student who hates everyone and feels better than everyone student and/or staff, especially those having sex..........high school and undergrad must have been a treat for you.

OK, now that you've dealt with his post, respond to mine.  Given my example above, it is clear that Cooley is at a significant disadvantage compared to MSU, Michigan, and Wayne State.

cooley3L

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
I just hopped on wnj.com.

Why?  Because they have 220 attorneys and are based in Michigan.  The "Attorney" tab lets you sort by schools attended.

At that firm, four of 220 attorneys attended Cooley. 

Their graduation years
1983 (partner)
2009 (staff attorney)
1979 (senior counsel)
1988 (senior counsel).

I know that is a pretty big firm for Michigan, but it still provides some insight on the market.  Look at the gap in graduation years.

Now, I don't have time to add them all up (because it includes undergrad universities in the search), but I can tell you there are SUBSTANTIALLY more from Wayne State and Michigan State than cooley.

Finally, there are 10 people who graduate from the top ten from cooley every year.   Only one person who graduated from Cooley Law School in the last 26 years currently works at that firm.  The best students at cooley either didn't try to work at this firm or didn't get hired.

The 4 people mentioned in the 200 plus firm were all higher ranking (even partner).

Sounds like they were on the top of the pile, not the bottom.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
Yeah, but they graduated in 1979, 1983, and 1988.

They've all been practicing for more than 24 years, and not only ONE is a partner.
Senior Counsel is not Partner.

This isn't to say Cooley sucks.  My point is that there is absolutely a stigma against cooley.  And if your top grads can't crack the biggest firms in Michigan, then the top Cooley grads are going for midlaw and smaller.

cooley3L

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
Yeah, but they graduated in 1979, 1983, and 1988.

They've all been practicing for more than 24 years, and not ONE is a partner.
Senior Counsel is not Partner.

This isn't to say Cooley sucks.  My point is that there is absolutely a stigma against cooley.  And if your top grads can't crack the biggest firms in Michigan, then the top Cooley grads are going for midlaw and smaller.
then why did you put (partner) next to their name?