Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 5140 times)

acd739

• View Profile
Is it worth it?
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
I am finishing my undergrad education in May, so I am currently deciding what school to attend now that my acceptance letters have returned.  I have some questions about Cooley, because it seems like the best option for my current personal circumstance, even though I was accepted to MSU law, Indiana U law, and Wayne State.  My husband and I are expecting out first child in June, and he works in the Grand Rapids area. (With the current economic state of Michigan, the fact that he has a decent job right out of college is a big deal.). Since we are having the baby, Cooley's part time program appeals to me because I can still raise my child through its infancy, but also attend school.  Also, my husband and I will not have to move or look for new jobs.  Furthermore, my academic credentials will qualify me for a large scholarship; and money will be tight the first few years. 

However, there is a lot of hostility on this board about Cooley.  I am wondering if attending Cooley is worth it?  Would I be better off working for a few years, then attending one of the other law schools that accepted me?  I would like to get my legal education now, but I am worried that a degree from Cooley won't get me a job.  I have always been a successful student, can I still do well at Cooley and get employed?  I know some firms won't even consider Cooley graduates, but I am not looking for a job in a top firm.  Help?

artsci10

• View Profile
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:41 AM »
If you want $100k in student debt and a job as a secretary (but with a JD) go to Cooley. Othewise, wait. It's THE bottom of the barrel of American law schools and unless you have a ready-made job set up through your own personal/family connections, you have basically no job of working in a law firm after graduation.

LincolnLover

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
which firms won't even consider cooley grads?

I ask since people seem to think that even any random online degree can get you anywhere in life, so who out there will "refuse" to use an ABA grad?

Let me guess, "everyone" but does "everyone" have a name?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »

I ask since people seem to think that even any random online degree can get you anywhere in life, so who out there will "refuse" to use an ABA grad?

WLRK, for one.  There are many others -- most concentrated in the v20.  Outside of that, you won't get biglaw from cooley unless you're in the top ~3%.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »

We're sort of in Cooley's neighborhood.  When asked about his firm's recruiting, one of the associates who came to us to speak on large firm recruiting (he was really more at a midlevel firm, though, actually), said it breaks down like this:

1.  U of Mich., but they have a lot of difficulty getting the U of M grads to consider them.  Then, huge drop to
2.  Wayne State and Michigan State, then a small drop to
3.  Toledo, then a big drop to
4.  Detroit Mercy

Cooley didn't even get a mention.

Bottom line:  this is a very, very highly competitive hiring market.  Employers want a great law school and class rank.  Class Rank is not easy to come by in any ABA accredited school, including Cooley.  If you pick Cooley, you're probably going to feel some additional difficulty at graduation when it comes to get a job.

Personally, I have nothing against the school.  However, it's foolish to think that there isn't a stigma to it.

artsci10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »
Let me make this as clear as I can. If your goal is to become a successful and employed lawyer:

HYS > T14 > T20 > T1 > T2 > T3 >T4 > secretary school > barber college > clown college > Devry > online unaccredited law school > watching Law & Order reruns > driver's ed > Subway sandwich artist school > Cooley

LincolnLover

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »
so one is better to go with an online school than an ABA school then?

Let me make this as clear as I can. If your goal is to become a successful and employed lawyer:

HYS > T14 > T20 > T1 > T2 > T3 >T4 > secretary school > barber college > clown college > Devry > online unaccredited law school > watching Law & Order reruns > driver's ed > Subway sandwich artist school > Cooley

artsci10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
And clown college.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
kids on the law review at my T1 are having a hell of a time trying to get jobs. I seriously doubt Cooley grads are doing anything, top 3% or not.

LincolnLover

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:43 PM »
kids on the law review at my T1 are having a hell of a time trying to get jobs. I seriously doubt Cooley grads are doing anything, top 3% or not.

This arguments loop forever with the same things said both ways. People need to stop being such cry babies. Of course the fat bald guy in his 40's on the beach who loses weight and lifts weights still will never look as good as the 20 year old track star, but only a suicide/welfare case would still not try to better their situation.

People say retardshit like someone with a degree from a T4 someone would be able to get less work than without it. They are idiots. Period.

The argument that those still in school are having a "hell of a time" finding work is just dumb. Of course they are, they have no experience. Have them crawl back to daddy and sleep on his couch while they suck on their thumb and cry while posting on LSD how hard life is and how better they are than others.

Pay your dues, move up the ranks, or kill youself. Either way.Fuckit.  :'(