Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criminal Convictions W/ Regards to Admissions  (Read 758 times)

dnkdave

• View Profile
    • Email
Criminal Convictions W/ Regards to Admissions
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
Overall I am a person of great character, however in the past years I have been in trouble with the law several times.

1.Starting when I was 17, I received a DUI.
2.When I was 18, I received a ticket for possession of less than 1 oz. of marijuana that was later dismissed w/ completion of youth diversion program.
3. Lastly when I was 21, I received a conviction for disturbing the peace as a result of urinating in an alley on the way home from a bar.

I want to know how much these run ins with the law will affect my chances of going to schools such as Pepperdine and USD.AlsoI was curious as to what forum members think is the best way to deal with these on my application would be. I am going to be honest and disclose all the offenses.

I have a 3.47 GPA and plan to score around 162-164 on my LSATs based on practice tests.

LincolnLover

Re: Criminal Convictions W/ Regards to Admissions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
As to #1) Since under 18 try to get it expunged yet? (still would have to disclose, but would look better)
As to #2) Could affect student loans in some states I believe
As to #3) In some states you could have to regiser as a sexoffender. Try to avoid school in those states.

dnkdave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Do you think this will have a huge impact on my admissions to these schools?

LincolnLover

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
Don't know unless you try. I just would only apply to schools in states where you want to be for starters, and they give it a shot.
I could tell you that they will say yes or no, but in reality it's up to them. If you apply to enough, you should find at least one to take you though.

avalanchco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »
See my reply in the recent thread on this board regarding felony disclosures. I currently attend a top-20 school.

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
Tulane let in a convicted murderer. So, I'd think you'd be ok there.
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/new-tulane-1l-is-an-advocate-a-writer-and-a-murderer/