Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley Review  (Read 4588 times)

Gitana

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cooley Review
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
When I was an undergrad looking to go to law school I would look here for reviews and advice about admissions and perspective on different schools. I am a current Cooley Law School student, and I have finished my first term of 1L successfully. I have also retained my scholarship, and was active in first year mock trial.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your review. I am planning to start at the new Tampa Bay campus in September for the same reason, my LSAT score qualifies me for a 100% scholarship. Have you heard anything about the new campus?
LSAT Dec '11 - 168  --- Terrible, terrible GPA

LincolnLover

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
What do you consider a "terrible" GPA? It can't be too bad if you got a full scholarship with less than a 170 lsat.

When I was an undergrad looking to go to law school I would look here for reviews and advice about admissions and perspective on different schools. I am a current Cooley Law School student, and I have finished my first term of 1L successfully. I have also retained my scholarship, and was active in first year mock trial.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your review. I am planning to start at the new Tampa Bay campus in September for the same reason, my LSAT score qualifies me for a 100% scholarship. Have you heard anything about the new campus?

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, I'm looking to transfer to there. I'm from Florida and it would workout well for me. The Tampa Bay campus looks like it should be nice. Its in a business district outside of tampa, and is supposed to have two full courtrooms in it. It should be about the size of the auburn hills or ann arbor campus. A lot of FL alumni seem to be excited about the new campus.

If you qualify for any of the scholarships its really a good value, especially 50% and up. With the large legal community in Tampa there shouldn't be a shortage of opportunities to gain experience as a clerk/intern/summer associate.

nocreeper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:52:13 PM »
Riverview is NOT a business district!  Riverview is a small area of mostly old people and trailor parks.  Shame on the ABA for allowing another law school in FL which already has TOO MANY ATTORNEYS and is getting an overloaded legal market. 

Riverview is not even close to a beach and about an hour away from any decent mall.  IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and their weather is a good 5 to 10 degrees colder than the Tampa area

Riverview is outside of the Tampa Bay area

Stetson is in the Tampa Bay area

There is no reason to go to Cooley/Riverview hen you can go to Barry, Ave Maria, St. Thomas, Nova, FL International, FL Coastal.....
FL coastal is a big Cooley competitor and Cooley loses a lot of students to them.

Shame on the ABA for doing this to Florida and the students that go to schools there whose degrees will now drop in value but rise in cost thanks to an oversupply -and thus lowering of demand - for attorneys in FL.

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »
I respectfully will disagree with you. I went last week, and the campus is right in a corporate park across from a large local Progressive Insurance office. Additionally, in the same office park as the Cooley campus in Riverview is where a telecommunications company headquarters is located. I would consider it a business district.

Regarding the mall comment, Brandon mall is 5 minutes away which is a reasonable suburban type mall (also has an apple store and mid range stores). Also, a 20min drive to tampa along the crosstown expressway will bring you to international plaza which is a huge mall (boss store, apple, nordstrom, a hundred or so other high end stores).

Cooley chose the location mainly because of the large alumni base, and with several million people in the tampa bay area theres only one law school- until Cooley opened.

Yes, FL has 12 law schools with Cooley. However, compare to TX, NY, IL, VA, CA and several other states with larger populations. It's not that uncommon. The alumni are very supportive, and that's definitely a good thing being a student here. Make reasonable comparisons and I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

And YES, it's in the "Tampa Bay area."

Riverview is NOT a business district!  Riverview is a small area of mostly old people and trailor parks.  Shame on the ABA for allowing another law school in FL which already has TOO MANY ATTORNEYS and is getting an overloaded legal market. 

Riverview is not even close to a beach and about an hour away from any decent mall.  IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and their weather is a good 5 to 10 degrees colder than the Tampa area

Riverview is outside of the Tampa Bay area

Stetson is in the Tampa Bay area

There is no reason to go to Cooley/Riverview hen you can go to Barry, Ave Maria, St. Thomas, Nova, FL International, FL Coastal.....
FL coastal is a big Cooley competitor and Cooley loses a lot of students to them.

Shame on the ABA for doing this to Florida and the students that go to schools there whose degrees will now drop in value but rise in cost thanks to an oversupply -and thus lowering of demand - for attorneys in FL.

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
*Just one more point, Stetson's main law school campus is in Gulfport which is south of St. Petersburg in an area thats half country club community/half depressed housing and projects. Also, further from Tampa than Riverview. No one at Stetson seems to care about the distance from Tampa either, its a non-issue- you don't have to live next door to your law school.

jaycube

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
This guys got the wonderful record as a student keep it up boy you have bright future.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
and how community college going for you?