Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley Review  (Read 4589 times)

Lawguy86

• View Profile
Cooley Review
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
When I was an undergrad looking to go to law school I would look here for reviews and advice about admissions and perspective on different schools. I am a current Cooley Law School student, and I have finished my first term of 1L successfully. I have also retained my scholarship, and was active in first year mock trial.

If you are considering Cooley you have undoubtedly noticed the long list of negative reviews, many saying that students at Cooley shouldn't even be in law school. How you view those comments is up to you, but once you get to law school you'll realize law students whine a good bit, so use your own discretion.

I am just here to let you know that you can get a good legal education at Cooley, and if you study diligently you will do fine. It will be more work than undergrad, but you know that already. Making it through has a good deal to do with staying focused, continuous review, and efficiently using your time.

I'm not saying Cooley is Harvard, top tier, or anything of that sort. But if your options are lower tiered schools, Cooley can be a flexible, affordable option especially if you receive a scholarship. Many people are able to work and go part time. All of my professors went to the University of Michigan law school and were practicing attorneys. You will receive a quality education equal or better than any school in the tier range.

The main advantage I have found with Cooley is their large alumni base, and the student services available that only large law schools have like a full career services office & study abroad at many locations.

Again, its not Harvard. But if your comparing to something like U of Dayton or another midwestern lower ranked school you should definitely equally consider Cooley. Best of luck!  PM for specific questions.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Re: Cooley Review
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
Flame!!!!

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
excuse you? not a flame

LincolnLover

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
what made you pick cooley?

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
what made you pick cooley?

the scholarship and for its flexibility.

LincolnLover

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
Is it true that a third of the class transfers out first year? Many of your classmates talking about trying to do that? You one of them or plan to stay the whole degree?

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
I'm definitely staying. I'd prefer not to accumulate more debt by going somewhere that might be "better ranked" but would cost more. Every school in Michigan with maybe an exception for Wayne State (in detroit) is more expensive for tuition.

I know there were a few students that cheated on exams first term who aren't with us now, but most are still here and plan on staying. Transferring is something a minority of students do, and once you get started you won't want to go through all the hassle of the whole transfer process (applying,waiting, proving yourself again).

Instead of trying to move up to another school I plan on working harder where I'm at and developing my legal experience more.

But to directly answer your question, I would not say 1/3 transfer out no. Maybe 10%, and a few others might leave for academic or personal reasons.

LincolnLover

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
when you say cheated, so do you mean cheated so well they could transfer out, or cheated and got sent the boot? How'd they get caught? Aren't lawschool exams mostly open book?

Lawguy86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »
when you say cheated, so do you mean cheated so well they could transfer out, or cheated and got sent the boot? How'd they get caught? Aren't lawschool exams mostly open book?

cheated as in the literal sense, like not taking the exam from memory and being sent home. I don't know how they were caught, not in my section. And exams at Cooley are mostly closed book, all first year exams for sure that I'm aware of.

LincolnLover

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
Wow. Crazy stuff. Were you there when they got busted? Did they cry, kick, and drag their feet? :'(