Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT vs. Cornell  (Read 516 times)

mommydearest

• View Profile
UT vs. Cornell
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
Good prospects of having full rides to both.  Please advise.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: UT vs. Cornell
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
Both are awesome schools.  UT will be way better for getter a job in Texas and surrounding states.  Cornell will be way better for Northeast, especially NYC, Boston, Philly.

mommydearest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Thanks. But my son tells me he would like to be flexible as far as employment goes. Which one would give him a wider range of oppotunities? Btw, he is also accepted in Northwestern, but we dont know about scholarships yet.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
Did he get into anywhere ranked higher?

Cornell, UT and Northwestern are all amazing schools.  You ought to be extremely proud of your son and I'm positive he has a very bright future ahead of him.  The problem is, these schools all place much much better in their respective regions than they do across the nation.  He'll have little problem getting a job in that region, but as soon as he goes to look for a job elsewhere, he will give up that advantage.  The reason I asked if he got into any other places is that only the top few schools (Yale, Harvard, Stanford and maybe Columbia) don't lose their luster when you look elsewhere. Otherwise, trying to decide where you want to go after law school is EXTREMELY important to making your decision on where to go to law school.  Almost always, it would even be better to go to a lower ranked school in the location you want to stay in as opposed to going to a higher ranked school in a different region.

All of this being said, I do understand the desire to keep your options open and not be committed to a location you are not sure you want to stay in.  Trust me, I know from personal experience.  I wish this wasn't the case, life would be a lot easy for both your son and me.