Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Limited Licenses  (Read 3729 times)

sollicitus

Re: Limited Licenses
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
An employed paralegal earns more than an unemployed lawyer.

And a living dog is worth more than a dead lion (psalms)

Who cares? A working nurse vs nonworking doctor,etc.

So what?  Better to be the doctor doing the nurses job for a spell while working up, the converse would be a felony. Pretty Duh when you think about it. A lawyer can always cook fries but not vice versa.

CWFirm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
True. Obviously there's some psychological reason for wanting to avoid the courtroom, which is fine. But being picky about other forms of work related to law probably won't help.

sollicitus

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
True. Obviously there's some psychological reason for wanting to avoid the courtroom, which is fine. But being picky about other forms of work related to law probably won't help.

The personality trait explains a lot more about the rest of their life when you think about it.
"I could I just don't wanna"...... :P

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
The only limited license I know of is typically between neighboring states.  You can apply to practice in a state you are not licensed in on a case by case basis.  Oddly, many neighboring states don't have reciprocity and an attorney may have cross over responsibilities. Hence the need for a limited license.

Of course, you must pass a bar in your own state and cannot abuse it.  All this tax and immigration stuff referenced isn't relevant.  Its a bar licensing thing, not a specialty thing.  It can also be granted to a law student to practice under supervision, typically at DA or PD offices. 

You should be taught this in law school, not trying to be arrogant or rude, but shi.t people this is day one. Do online schools not teach this?  That's kind of scary.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
Washington state has a Limited Practice Officer program.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

sollicitus

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »
The only limited license I know of is typically between neighboring states.  You can apply to practice in a state you are not licensed in on a case by case basis.  Oddly, many neighboring states don't have reciprocity and an attorney may have cross over responsibilities. Hence the need for a limited license.

Of course, you must pass a bar in your own state and cannot abuse it.  All this tax and immigration stuff referenced isn't relevant.  Its a bar licensing thing, not a specialty thing.  It can also be granted to a law student to practice under supervision, typically at DA or PD offices. 

You should be taught this in law school, not trying to be arrogant or rude, but shi.t people this is day one. Do online schools not teach this?  That's kind of scary.

most people who post here do not yet attend law school. Plus if you listen to the ABA grads who post here, they (at least claim) that their schools didn't teach them much about practice and license either.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
No your right, how to practice isn't taught.  You should be taught the basic rules, however.  This is what statues do.  This is where they are.  There is a bar exam.  This is where you get licensed.

There are also many distance students that post here, some of whom are pretty clever and would likely know where I'm going with this criticism- are the online school not prepping people to practice anywhere? 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

sollicitus

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
No your right, how to practice isn't taught.  You should be taught the basic rules, however.  This is what statues do.  This is where they are.  There is a bar exam.  This is where you get licensed.

There are also many distance students that post here, some of whom are pretty clever and would likely know where I'm going with this criticism- are the online school not prepping people to practice anywhere?

No worse than anyone else is my point, and yeah, duh California.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »
Ok, you're an idiot.  Does Cali not have limited law licenses with other states, say Nevada?

sollicitus

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
Ok, you're an idiot.  Does Cali not have limited law licenses with other states, say Nevada?

You just don't know how to ask the right questions. You asked if they teach to practice, answer yes as much as ABA does, but for it's limited area. I don't know what it offered in CA, I don't need to. They don't teach what happens outside of CA since they can't practice outside CA and thus the online grads who want to practice outside CA have to research options on their own, such as the given scenario here. You are far too quick to anger when you could simply learn to do your part correctly and relax. Don't stealing threads just to rant. The world is not out to get you, you can chill.