Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Limited Licenses  (Read 3856 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Limited Licenses
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:53:27 AM »
A limited license is granted to an attorney from one state who gets a job as an in-house counsel in a different state.  A patent bar exam applicant must have a STEM degree.
Angie

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »
Corporate attorney license available in some states requires you are already an attorney - end of story.

So where is your JD from again?  If you would tell us, I can can tell you where you can be admitted.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
A limited license is granted to an attorney from one state who gets a job as an in-house counsel in a different state.  A patent bar exam applicant must have a STEM degree.

Correct

susanblaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
im not sure..but i think limited licenses..meaning exams u can take without taking the bar exam..but have a JD....and still make the same amount of salary as a lawyer....

crazylawstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »
sorry for the late response....

basically i have a JD and a masters and 2 bachelors degree..however i do not want to practice in court...are there any limited licenses i can take without taking the bar exam? i still want to work in the legal field, but definitely do not want to be a court lawyer or spend all that money taking the 3 day bar exam plus the course.

i do not want to work as a paralegal with all my education. i am just wondering what my options are. are there any limited licenses available for me or career paths i can go with a JD and some sort of limited license without being a full fledged lawyer?

sollicitus

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
WTF? Just take the bar. Once you do that you can do it all (don't have to, but can do)

It's ok to admit you are scared, but come on. It's just a test. If you failed it a few times just find a way to pass it (private tutor,etc)

Unless you "JD" is Novus or made out of crayon there should be at least one state out there willing to take you.
Is your degree not ABA? If online did you not pass the FYBX?

sollicitus

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
sorry for the late response....

basically i have a JD and a masters and 2 bachelors degree..however i do not want to practice in court...are there any limited licenses i can take without taking the bar exam? i still want to work in the legal field, but definitely do not want to be a court lawyer or spend all that money taking the 3 day bar exam plus the course.

i do not want to work as a paralegal with all my education. i am just wondering what my options are. are there any limited licenses available for me or career paths i can go with a JD and some sort of limited license without being a full fledged lawyer?

You are either unqualified or allergic. Which is it and why?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »
He can be a non-lawyer.

sollicitus

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
He can be a non-lawyer.

The first choice (unqualified) is the most likely. I agree.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
An employed paralegal earns more than an unemployed lawyer.