Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Consultant Exam  (Read 1570 times)

nonabastudent

• View Profile
Legal Consultant Exam
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
hello!

I am debating since I went to a state approved non aba school, if any state will even let me take the exam.

i was reading online that if i wanted to do legal consulting or something related theres a seperate exam in which all i have to do is show my JD. instead of take the full blown state bar.

has any of you heard anything about this?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Legal Consultant Exam
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »
What law school was that and why do you think the JD is no giood?

Legal Consultant as in Foreign Legal Consultant would apply to foreign licensed attorneys.

Legal consulting sounds to me like unlicensed practice of law.

However you can practice as an Advocate before the Veterans and Social Security Administration provided you follow their rules and California will issue you a permit as an Immigration Consultant provided you satsify their requirements.

An exam for JDs is called a bar exam what exam are you thinking of that requires only showing a JD?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:43:34 AM »
There is no such thing as a legal consultant exam.  This is because the practice of law is regulated on a state by state level.  What you can do is create a corporation and compose the articles of incorporation,  giving your company the power to be a legal consultant.  If your state allows it, you can name yourself the president, CEO, secretary, and registered agent.  I did that for my company Passaro Reid Financial Services Group, here in Florida. 

Then, market yourself to attorneys only or to federal agency clients. 

You  have to be very, very good at what you do.  "The world" will be evaluating your every move.  Or,  take the CLA exam and be a paralegal.   The best exams available are either the latter or any state bar exam.
Angie

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
Legal Consultant LOL!

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
It might be viable.  A legal consultant could mean anything from being a trial strategist to being someone who puts legal analysis memoranda together.
Angie

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Says who?  Unless you are licensed as a Foreign Legal Consultant, California Immigration Consultant or are a Medical legal Consultant like a RN or MD, which you obviously are not, you will be engaging unlicensed practice of the law if you "consult"" with unsuspecting clients who think you are proving some legal advice of value.  Consulting is providing legal advice, you need a license to do so.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
Trial strategy and legal memoranda are normally directed at attorneys.

A legal consultant who seeks out lay people will not even be working very long.  Consumers want to know what you can do for them.  If you cannot represent them before a judge,  they will find out.  Legal work is results oriented.  If you cannot provide results, making a living will be difficult.  Now, intentional misrepresentation is a different matter.  Calling yourself an attorney when you are not licensed is not what I am talking about here. 

Assisting someone with his Chapter 7/13 petition is legal consultation.  Appearing with someone before an IRS agent, as an enrolled agent, is legal consultation.  Think outside the box, while following all the rules.
Angie

sollicitus

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Some states DO repeat DO have such an exam.

Someone posted here awhile back a link (I like Colorado?) that has one simular to that.

Other states have license requirments for less than lawyers who help legally under a variety of names.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
An IRS Enrolled Agent is an enrolled agent not a legal consultant.

A form filler outer is paralegal or public notary not a legal consultant.

Advising someone on their bankruptcy petition is practice of law.

Being unqualified to do any of things is just that.

A legal consultant who seeks out lay people will not even be working very long.  Consumers want to know what you can do for them.  If you cannot represent them before a judge,  they will find out.  Legal work is results oriented.  If you cannot provide results, making a living will be difficult.  Now, intentional misrepresentation is a different matter.  Calling yourself an attorney when you are not licensed is not what I am talking about here. 

Assisting someone with his Chapter 7/13 petition is legal consultation.  Appearing with someone before an IRS agent, as an enrolled agent, is legal consultation.  Think outside the box, while following all the rules.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »
Trial strategy and legal memoranda? Why would a lawyer want advice from someone who is not a lawyer and has never been one on how to "strategize at trial" or write a letter?  If you want to learn trial strategy, learn from a winner, Gerry Spence runs a school:

http://www.triallawyerscollege.com/