Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Petitioning a State  (Read 897 times)

nonabastudent

• View Profile
Petitioning a State
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »
this seems to be the place for all non aba related questions

are there any states lenient enough to allow someone to take the bar exam where the school has been approved by the state?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Petitioning a State
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Yes, the state that approved the school is where you take the exam usually as in the case of California, Alabama, or Massachusetts.

Or are you asking about kentucky again?

nonabastudent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:05 PM »
Kentucky? I am not from that state., so I am not sure who you are referring to. I am from Arizona but when to a non aba school outside of Arizona.

The school where I went to wont allow me to take the exam in that state (Texas). i wanted to know if any other states will.

I would like to take the bar exam no matter what state in July.

Please anyone anyone can help me.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
But what was the school? Outside of Arizona doesn't really convey much information.

The school is in Texas? There does not appear to be any non ABA law school in Texas.

Here is a list of law schools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_schools_in_the_United_States

LincolnLover

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »
Yeah, must be a troll (or a mental invalid)

If a school is truely approved as a lawschool by its state bar, then the state it can practice is THAT SAME STATE.

If just approved as a school but not as a lawschool, then NO WHERE. (refer to other anwers given to you on same question)

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
this seems to be the place for all non aba related questions

are there any states lenient enough to allow someone to take the bar exam where the school has been approved by the state?

Most states allow you to "petition to take the bar exam" through their supreme court rules of that state, as long as you can prove that your legal education, whether online or in person, is equivelant to an ABA approved law school. Lots of people petition to take the bar exam. Some are allowed to take it and some are not.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »

Most states allow you to "petition to take the bar exam" through their supreme court rules of that state, as long as you can prove that your legal education, whether online or in person, is equivelant to an ABA approved law school. Lots of people petition to take the bar exam. Some are allowed to take it and some are not.

[/quote]

Sure dude happens all the time. not!  Just oodles of non ABA grads lining up to petition a state Supreme Court, all six of them maybe, the rest would not know how to draft a peitition, I sure don't know off hand but I know the chances would be about nil of it being accepted.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
Yeah, must be a troll (or a mental invalid)

If a school is truely approved as a lawschool by its state bar, then the state it can practice is THAT SAME STATE.

If just approved as a school but not as a lawschool, then NO WHERE. (refer to other anwers given to you on same question)

It's the Kentucky person again pretending be from Texas.  Let's get it straight, petitioning is when you have already passed the bar in one state and want to take it another.  But your chances are going to really low unless you have a damn good reason and are a resident of the state you are petitioning. 

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
For sure make sure that you already passed a bar in another state before you petition, because if you petition and and they allow you to take their states bar and you fail, then that would be really embarrassing for you.