Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best lsat prep materials  (Read 11415 times)

SillyValleyEngineer

• View Profile
best lsat prep materials
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:09:21 AM »
hello all.  i am writing to find out which lsat prep materials are most effective.  i used powerscore and manhattan for gre and gmat prep and did very well on those exams.  are those companies also good sources for lsat prep material?  if not, what are the most effective?

IClawstud

• View Profile
Re: best lsat prep materials
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
I have heard good things about powerscore. I heard that one of the founders of Testmasters left with the material he had from testmasters to start powerscore. I took test masters and loved it so I would assume powerscore is similar.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
Best LSAT Prep Book Recommendations 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »

The BEST LSAT Prep Books 2013
The LSAT Logic Games Bible is the best LSAT prep book for Logic Games
The LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible is the best LSAT prep book for Logical Reasoning
The LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible is the best LSAT prep book for Reading Comprehension
The Official LSAT Superprep is the best and only LSAT prep book w/ explanations written by LSAC, the people who write the exam
The Official LSAT Handbook  is the best LSAT prep book for beginners just getting started on the LSAT, also written by LSAC

You will also need plenty of Actual, Official LSAT preptests:
The Official LSAT PrepTest 68
The Official LSAT PrepTest 67
The Official LSAT PrepTest 66
The Official LSAT PrepTest 65
The Official LSAT Preptest 64
The Official LSAT Preptest 63
The Official LSAT PrepTest 62
10 New Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests (52-61)
The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests (29-38)
10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests (19-28)
10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests (7, 9-16, 18)

Take a look at http://lawschooli.com/lsat-prep-books-self-study/ for a full list of the best LSAT prep books to self-study for the LSAT.

In general, powerscore has the best prep materials on the market. LSAC also has a few "must-have" books as well. I'd avoid most of the rest of the material published (e.g., Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.).

New for 2013: I am eager to see The Blueprint for LSAT Logic Games which was just published in 2013. Until I get a chance to review a copy, I can't offer any advice on whether or not to buy it, but I will say that I have high hopes.

Micdiddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »
As a supplement to any test prep book you get I think purchasing LSAC's 10 actual preptests (and then the 10 NEW ones and the ones with comparative reading) is invaluable to true test preparation.
Since they are the closest thing to the actual test you can get your hands on, you can go through them as if you're taking the real test 10 times. The only problem is they do not provide reasons for the right answers, but most of the time I am able to work out where I went wrong and if I cannot I can ask for help (like I did in another topic in this forum, though people seem reluctant to respond).

Henri_Allen

• View Profile
    • Estate and Succession Planning
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
As a supplement to any test prep book you get I think purchasing LSAC's 10 actual preptests (and then the 10 NEW ones and the ones with comparative reading) is invaluable to true test preparation.
Since they are the closest thing to the actual test you can get your hands on, you can go through them as if you're taking the real test 10 times. The only problem is they do not provide reasons for the right answers, but most of the time I am able to work out where I went wrong and if I cannot I can ask for help (like I did in another topic in this forum, though people seem reluctant to respond).

I noticed the same thing when I was studying for the LSAT. Many of the practice tests would give you the correct answers, but wouldn't actually tell you why that particular conclusion was correct. Very frustrating for questions that are a bit more ambiguous or could logically have multiple correct answers.

NiceOne

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Preparation Services
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »
SillyValleyEngineer,

Most LSAT prep books have some things they explain well, and other things that they confuse to all...

Go to your local library and check-out all the LSAT Prep books you can carry.

Scan the books and pick-up their nuggets of wisdom, and forget the rest.

Also, buy the Official Past PrepTests with Comparative Reading, like Micdiddy suggested, and practice practice practice.

If you find that you can't understand a specific question or question-type, post your question on this forum (not TLS), and I'm sure someone nice will help.

You can also hire an LSAT Tutor or enroll in LSAT classes specific to your LSAT weakness.

Just make sure not to get stuck trying to learn and master techniques that may not work for you.

Best of luck.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »

Agreed. There is no substitute for taking real LSAT practice questions.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:49:29 AM »
Just make sure not to get stuck trying to learn and master techniques that may not work for you.

The best way not to get stuck trying to learn and master techniques that may not work for you is probably to start with the best LSAT prep books and avoid the others. If you start with mediocre or even bad advice (as is found in all-too-many LSAT prep books on the market), those habits are going to be much harder to break.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
Oh, and you also should pick up copies of PrepTests 39-51 and 62-most recent as well.

You can view a full list at http://lawschooli.com/where-can-i-find-every-actual-official-lsat-preptest/