Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC GPA Q  (Read 808 times)

dipole

• View Profile
LSAC GPA Q
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
Hi, I saw that undergraduate GPA is calculated by including classes at the 4 year instiution as well as any courses taken at community college. I took two english classes in high school at my local community college. As I understand it, these grades will count towards my LSAC GPA. What I'm trying to figure out, though, is if I take discard these community college credits and retake the credits at my 4 year institution, will the community college grades still be used to compute my LSAC GPA, or will they be discarded and the 4 year institution grades for those classes be used in their place? Thank you

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: LSAC GPA Q
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
They probably will be factored in since they were college classes and LSAC requires that you submit transcripts from every college you have taken classes at, but I'm not sure with your situation since you were in high school at the time you took them and it's not clear from your post whether they were college courses or just satellite high school classes held on a college campus. 

If you were issued a transcript from the college for the classes you must submit it and the grades will be factored in.

The best way to get a definitive answer is to call LSAC and/or email them about it to see what they have to say.  LSAC staff is helpful with answering questions about the law school application and admission process. 

Don't be afraid to call them and tell them the details or email them with the details and questions, they don't bite.

jstallings1

• View Profile
Re: LSAC GPA Q
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
I have credit/no credit gym courses I took while I was in high school where I did not have the minimum number of hours in the gym to receive credit for the courses.  I was only taking them so that I could use the gym on the cheap and I never even bothered to log in for credit.  Even these courses were counted into my overall gpa by LSAC as F's.  I am almost positive you are stuck with whatever you got.  If it is really something you are worried about, include an addendum about them in your application.  The reports that are sent in by LSAC have breakdowns in them and they can see your grade trends.  It's different for every school of course but I got a 45%ish scholarship to Lewis & Clark with a 163 lsat score because they could see my last two years of my undergrad were a 4.0 even though my overall gpa only broke down to a 3.3 (huge slacker at community college).