Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help needed!!! Taking Bar from NON ABA School  (Read 488 times)

crazylawstudent

• View Profile
Help needed!!! Taking Bar from NON ABA School
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
Besides California, are there any states that will allow me to take the bar exam from an unaccredited non aba school?

What about petitioning the Board..does it work? What do they look for?

Please help!!!!!

Zepp

• View Profile
Re: Help needed!!! Taking Bar from NON ABA School
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
There are.  Go to the website for the National Conference of Bar Examiners, bar admissions services:

http://www.ncbex.org/bar-admissions/

Chart 3 of Bar Admissions guide goes state by state of listing of what states let you sit for the bar.  As for petitioning the board.  It depends on the state.  Most states you're wasting your time.  The requirement for an ABA school is set by statute, or enshrined in court rules.  Some states may have some wiggle room (MD let's non-ABA grads petition the board for a waiver if they have practiced in another state for at least 5 years, but otherwise, not a chance).
GULC 2010 Cum Laude

iracafella

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:22:13 AM »
y

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
TN, Mass, Bama all do (I think there are a few more states, but not many), but you must go to a state approved non ABA, i.e. approved by the accrediting body in that state.  Please tell me your not talking about an online school, if so, then no only Cali. By "unaccredited" do you mean not approved by the state?  I may be wrong, but all non ABAs except for some in Cali are state approved by each specific state.

Some states allow from non ABA grads from other states to be licensed, but typically 5-7 years of practice experience is required.

If you are dealing with an online school check out the distance education board.  There are some posters that have decent research on practicing from a non ABA in one state and getting licensed in another state. 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."