Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PETITIONING THE SUPREME COURT IN MICHIGAN TO TAKE BAR EXAM..IS IT HARD TO DO?  (Read 1931 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
You are right about that.  It looks like our friend may have to do some volunteer legal work under an attorney's supervision and get published before approaching another state about taking its bar exam, then.
Angie

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am afraid it is not that simple, unless one has passed a bar already, petitioning to take a bar exam just isn't feasible.  They need to go back to school and get the minimum 26 ABA credits for the DC bar or start over. Additionally, the Concord grad was a resident of Mass and that weighed heavily in his favor being from out of state seals one doom usually.

Opie58

The importance of doing your due diligence with evaluating a law school of any kind - ABA, non-ABA, B&M, DL.  One must know their limitations; a variation of a familiar quote - do you know the quote & from where?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is your school on the accredited list?  Find out:  http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation
Angie

LincolnLover

would that 26 credits need to be BEFORE graduating the JD or can it be after?
I ask since "prelegal education" in states that require a BA don't let you get the BA after the JD and still sit the bar. It's dumb but true. Might want to ask DC if they view it the same way in this example. They might.

I am afraid it is not that simple, unless one has passed a bar already, petitioning to take a bar exam just isn't feasible.  They need to go back to school and get the minimum 26 ABA credits for the DC bar or start over. Additionally, the Concord grad was a resident of Mass and that weighed heavily in his favor being from out of state seals one doom usually.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The 26 credits are law school credits in subjects that the bar exam tests.  The 26 credits are after getting the non-bar JD.  By the time you enter law school, your BA should already be in hand.
Angie

LincolnLover

The first half of that seems well researched, the second half not so much.

The 26 credits are law school credits in subjects that the bar exam tests.  The 26 credits are after getting the non-bar JD.  By the time you enter law school, your BA should already be in hand.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Write the Concord graduate who petitioned  Massachusetts to take its bar exam.  Ask him how he went about petitioning that state's bar exam.  I posted the court opinion on this forum around October of last year.  Even though it is a different state, the procedure may be similar.

I wonder if his petition is public record anywhere? I'd like to see a copy of that petition.