Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are there any states that will let you to take the bar exam from a non aba sch?  (Read 8558 times)

LincolnLover

would that be true for all trades then as well?
If they are making DL students look bad is that not a form of Defemation, even in unintentional?

If not, couldn't you as a lawyer round up a group of their Grads to do a group suit for being sold a sack of BS?

Good question, let's see why there is not a remedy for every wrong:

1.  There is no negligence because they don't owe me any duty of care.

2.  There is no contractual relationship with them.

3.  There is no intentional interference in my business affairs.

4.  There is no defamation.

I do not think there is any standing to sue, as a concerned citizen I could contact my state attorney general or the Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

"If they are making DL students look bad is that not a form of Defemation, even in unintentional?"

In a very loose way that could be defamation however I think there would be real problems establishing that DL graduate lawyers are a separate category of lawyers who were damaged in a tangible fashion.

"If not, couldn't you as a lawyer round up a group of their Grads to do a group suit for being sold a sack of BS?"

That might be considered to be unlawful running, capping, and soliciting in some jurisdictions.

Also, I doubt one would ever be able to collect on a judgment against them.

LincolnLover

why on the judgment? Do you think they just don't have the funds? If so, couldn't a court still order them to stop claiming to issues a JD "degree"?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ever tried to collect a judgment against a Marshall Islands corporation or any judgment against someone who does not want to pay?

A lot of lawsuits don't get filed because there is no point wasting time, effort, and money suing just for the sake of suing.

An individual would not have standing to get an injunction close the school though a state attorney general might or the FTC.

susanblaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it true that Alabama might let you take the bar exam from a non accredited school?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
You know, you can look that up yourself by doing a Google for Alabama Bar Examiners and checking the rules yourself.

LincolnLover

Since it uses a CA mailing address wouldn't that be standing to do file a claim in federal  court ?

Ever tried to collect a judgment against a Marshall Islands corporation or any judgment against someone who does not want to pay?

A lot of lawsuits don't get filed because there is no point wasting time, effort, and money suing just for the sake of suing.

An individual would not have standing to get an injunction close the school though a state attorney general might or the FTC.

LincolnLover

(As promised) The much awaited reply:

It is my understanding that the American Justice School of Law, which later became the Barkley School of Law, was “approved” by the Kentucky Department of Education to offer legal education courses and to award a JD; however, it was never accredited by the American Bar Association; and, to my knowledge, the school officials never sought approval from the Kentucky Supreme Court to allow its graduates to sit for the Kentucky Bar Exam despite the non-accredited status.

School officials and law students at AJSL/Barkley knew the school was unaccredited and that, without accreditation, there would be little likelihood of being eligible for admission in Kentucky.  I know this because I visited the school, along with one of our Board members, during its first year and specifically told officials and students that the school would need to earn ABA accreditation in order for the students to take the Kentucky Bar  Exam.  At that time the school administration officials were confident that ABA accreditation could be achieved; however, as you know, that did not happen.

Your inquiry is the third inquiry I have received from AJSL/Barkley graduates in recent months and I sincerely regret that I cannot offer assistance regarding Bar admission.

Best regards,

susanblaw

• View Profile
    • Email
are there any states that would? all that is needed is 1 state..esp. since this school has been approved by the state.

LincolnLover

Honestly it wouldn't depend on what any one here said or thought. There have been many suggested states and locations to start the search at. Start in those areas and then spread out. Write them and ask them. Horses mouth works best.

My guess is many will say "apply and go in front of a board to make a decision" many might make you take the state bar first as well. Many have taken state bars and passed and still been denied license for various reasons. Just a fact of life to accept before begining.

Some states used to accept non ABA grads who had an ABA LLM. Read each states rules, see if any still do. If so, just get said LLM, if not don't(unless you want to be the most qualified paralegal ever)

If you take a single day and write a letter to the 50 states, and the territories, you will only have to play the waiting game to get your answers. -Or keep Peeing in the bucket, your choice.

are there any states that would? all that is needed is 1 state..esp. since this school has been approved by the state.