Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is the two year wait period for academically dismissed law students arbitrary and capricious?

Yes
 2 (50%)
No
 0 (0%)
Maybe
 0 (0%)
I don't know
 1 (25%)
What does  arbitrary and capricious mean?
 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: January 11, 2012, 06:18:14 PM

Author Topic: Academic Dismissal  (Read 951 times)

scholarchic

• View Profile
Academic Dismissal
« on: January 04, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
ABA standard 505 states that, a student who has been academically dismissed from law school may re-apply to the same school after one year, and an affirmative showing they are capable of resuming study. However,  they must wait two years to apply to a new  law school. I'm doing a article on this and have been trying to find opinions of established lawyers, law students and those interested in a legal education. Thus far, no one has been bold enough to answer this question. If a student has been academically dismissed and is eligible to return to the same institution, then why  forbade them from going to a different law school for another year? Frankly, my hypothesis is that the standard is punitive, acting as a restraint upon potential law students and  law schools that may wish to offer them admission. An affirmative showing may be made within a year, before a year, or may it may take longer... my point is that the time period is arbitrary because everyone's abilities differ.

LincolnLover

Re: Academic Dismissal
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I'd email the ABA and the schools.

scholarchic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
yep, I'm working up to them as well, but I'm sure how the ABA would receive my perspective... :-\

LincolnLover

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
Probably with a robotic like responce that seems more copy&paste than what you actually wanted.

That being said, only one way to find out. It's not like they can reach through the computer screen and kick your butt you know,  ::).

yep, I'm working up to them as well, but I'm sure how the ABA would receive my perspective... :-\

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
Did you write the article yet?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."