Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sincere Inquiry from a Starter  (Read 4241 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sincere Inquiry from a Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
I definitely agree that if you will fail miserably at a science or engineering major not to do it.  I majored in English and did a minor in Spanish and Philosophy.  I wish I'd worked harder at Spanish and then kept up my skills during law school.  I also should have done a minor or double major in a business degree.  It would have given me an edge and some know-how that I don't have now.  I also could have done a jd/MBA at the same time which maybe could have opened up additional non-lawyer jobs.

I do want to emphasize that it is rough out there.  Since graduating, I took and passed the bar, continued to work as a law clerk in a small firm who couldn't hire me as an attorney, did a fellowship with my city in the general counsel section, got an of counsel position with a national bad shitlaw debt settlement firm, did appearances for collections and other firms, practiced on my own in domestic relations (extremely difficult since I am a new attorney with no experience), did some work for solo practitioners, did contract doc review work, and FINALLY last fall, through luck, good timing, and perseverance landed a staff attorney position with a BIGLAW firm where I am working now.

Although a majority of my job now is doc review, I feel incredibly blessed and happy, bc the pay is good and the job is relatively secure.  I'm hoping that this job will at least give me connections or make me look more desirable since it's a big and well known firm.  I wouldn't mind continuing working in ediscovery, personally, but I know this would be a nightmare for many would be law students, current students, and current lawyers.

Also, even though it took so much work and fumbling around from one legal opportunity to another, I am a lot luckier than most of my law school peers (or at least in an equal position).

It takes a lot of moxie to be a new lawyer in this economy!

jiurte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »
Kindly share some views about the after Law School if someone want to do practice for legal matters where he or she can do that.?

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
Kindly share some views about the after Law School if someone want to do practice for legal matters where he or she can do that.?

Sorry, this is a bit incoherent and I don't understand the question...

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

It's probably a post from one of the paid to post on your board services that Andrew, the owner of this site, hired to revive discussion and traffic on the board.  Many of those services, especially the really cheap ones, are located overseas so their English, understanding of the LSAT and North America legal systems can be pretty bad. 

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »

It's probably a post from one of the paid to post on your board services that Andrew, the owner of this site, hired to revive discussion and traffic on the board.  Many of those services, especially the really cheap ones, are located overseas so their English, understanding of the LSAT and North America legal systems can be pretty bad.

Wait, they HIRED people to increase discussion on lawschooldiscussion.org?  This makes me really sad, actually ... this board was thriving out of control back in 2006 when I was applying for law school :(

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »

Wait, they HIRED people to increase discussion on lawschooldiscussion.org?  This makes me really sad, actually ... this board was thriving out of control back in 2006 when I was applying for law school :(

It's sad but it's true.  I joined here in 2006 as well and it was a thriving community back then with a lot of good advice, tons of good regular posters, many active threads, etc.  It started devolving into becoming basically a desert roughly three years ago and has spiraled down in a slow painful nose-dive over that time. 

I believe one of the main causes has been the technical problems and the board frequently going down for days because Andrew wasn't paying attention and took a while to notice and get around to fixing things.  During the down times people migrated over to TLS.

There is a big cottage industry of sites/people that will post for pay or for bartered reciprocal posting on other forums. Part of the driving force is ad revenue. The more activity/posts/views, the more ad $$ the site owner passively earns.

Here is just one of many examples: http://forumpromotion.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Oh well, the glory days of LSD are over, at least for now, and it makes me sad.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 03:20:21 AM »
Added hilarity from a minimum post count on the company's forums before you can apply for a job. :D
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
More sadness: TLS is moderated by a few serious deuch.bags.  Populated by less duchy, but still slightly mean people who make them selves feel better by putting others down. 

Might not seem I feel that way with the meanness of some of my post on LSD, but TLS is too harsh for even me and I'm probably not the only person that feels this way- a small glimmer of hope for LSD, TLS is a creepy stereotypically arrogantly mean law student forum (inferiority complexes get old).
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
If TLS is too harsh for you, you'll definitely want to steer clear of AutoAdmit/XOXOHTH.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
More sadness: TLS is moderated by a few serious deuch.bags.  Populated by less duchy, but still slightly mean people who make them selves feel better by putting others down. 

Might not seem I feel that way with the meanness of some of my post on LSD, but TLS is too harsh for even me and I'm probably not the only person that feels this way- a small glimmer of hope for LSD, TLS is a creepy stereotypically arrogantly mean law student forum (inferiority complexes get old).

I agree for the most part with your observations. 

I got temporarily banned by one of the TLS moderators the other week for posting something totally benign in a thread a mod decided to censor, told people to stop posting in, but did not simply just lock. 

EarlCat, a friend of mine, LSAT expert, etc. that has also been posting great advice for free here, on TLS, and on other boards for years also got temporarily banned for posting in the same TLS thread with a civilized criticism of a few things and posing a few questions.  A number of other posters that regularly post quality advice for free that are not promoting/selling a product also got banned in that draconian ban wave. 

It really pissed me off because I only post helpful advice and answers to students questions there when I have the time, having been doing so for several years, and do not engage in immature $hit slinging nonsense. 

IMHO, the TLS mods did it to protect a certain guy that recently started his own online LSAT prep business that they are letting advertise/promote for free on the site directly and with shill accounts in threads rather than requiring him to pay for banner ads like all the other prep companies are required to do.

If people believe the practice test and test day score claims of all or most TLS users that post on that LSAT study board, then most or almost all of the one percent of test takers that actually score 173 and above have accounts and post there.  That is an unrealistic scenario.

There are some decent regulars that are helpful and semi-humble in the mix, but they are the minority.  When I post there, if I don't get called a feminine hygiene product-bag by somebody at least once every few weeks for just giving straight up facts/information/honest answers to questions, I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

Oh well, what can you do to stop some people from being arrogant a-holes?