Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Postgraduate online education question?  (Read 720 times)

bulgarian attorney

• View Profile
    • Bulgarian Lawyer, Bulgarian Attorney
    • Email
Postgraduate online education question?
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »
Hi everybody,

Just find your community. Greatly appreciate, very informative. I am looking for a postgraduate online education for foreigners. My daughter has just compete her LLM and would like to specialize in IP and Internet property.
Thank you in advance for your help.

LincolnLover

Re: Postgraduate online education question?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
I believe there are some ABA approved online LLM programs now. CBE is ok, but I would still try to go ABA approved.

I know there is no license requirment for an LLM, but it's kind of like a paralegal degree in that if it says ABA you get more respect.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »
Hi everybody,

Just find your community. Greatly appreciate, very informative. I am looking for a postgraduate online education for foreigners. My daughter has just compete her LLM and would like to specialize in IP and Internet property.

Not clear to me what the goal is?  Are you going to practice in the EU or US? Many of the US online LLMs are questionnable as far as accredidation.

LincolnLover

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
How are they "questionable"? The ABA either approves them or they don't. If an ABA lawschool claims their LLM to be ABA approved and it isn't wouldn't that school be sanctioned?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
I think any 9-12 month degree could be questionnable. LLMs differ from country to country, some are two year programs like a  true Masters degree. if they plan on practising in the EU, I'd steer clear of a US online degree and look at University of London instead:

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/prospective_students/postgraduate/laws/index.shtml

They may want to post this question in the LLM forum.

LincolnLover

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:13 PM »
You are questioning the degree itself now, before you claimed the accrediting was questionable. Did you change your mind?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »
Most LLM programs are designed for foreigners who already have law degrees in their country.  The LLM simply introduces these attorneys to American law, and prepares them for the bar exam.  The LLM programs  for Americans normally do not accept Americans who don't have a JD.  And, they are true masters degrees in the sense that they focus on a narrow area of law.  They do not teach what the bar exam tests.

I don't know if it has been tried.  But, an American could get a British LLB and then enroll in an LLM program for students with foreign law degrees.  Then he/she would be able to sit for the bar exam.

I haven't sought out any of this because I simply don't have the money.  I am going to stick with my paralegal certificate (I have 3 other degrees from accredited universities.), author one or two case digests, and start looking for a job after I pass the CLA exam.  I plan to take it in May;  if I get the $ 250.00 together in time.  The University of Leiden is still up in the air.  My proposal was on American law.  I may be able to submit a second one on Dutch law.  The challenge, I read online, is that Dutch court opinions are written in Dutch.
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
All the initiator of this thread has to do is contact the ABA for a list of LLM programs for foreigners that they endorse.  If they don't have a list, I am sure they know who does.
Angie

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
Two types of LLMs in the US - one for foreigners trying to meet ABA requirements for comparative common law, the other variety are quickie 9-12 month programs purporting to specialize in tax law, IP, etc.  Some of the DL variety may not be worth much except CLE credits.

Getting a UK LLB and then a US LLM might work in a few states, others would require an active solicitor's license. Many do not allow this at all. In any event, anyone who could survive all that could surely be admitted to a ABA approved school and save all sorts of time, effort and expense.