Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chance Me? Late App but good numbers  (Read 421 times)

captainwasabi09

• View Profile
Chance Me? Late App but good numbers
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Hey All,

I'm applying later than I would like (issues with letters of rec coming in). I've been told I have really good numbers.

University of Michigan
Political Science. Minor in Asian Studies (Chinese Studies)
GPA: 3.959. LSDAS GPA: 4.02. But grades just came in so the LSDAS GPA will go up if I send my new transcript in.
LSAT: 173
Asian American female (not mentioning Asian American part)
I'm graduating in 3 years instead of 4 with no full-time experience except for an internship in Canadian Parliament.

I work part-time as a student coordinator in a dining hall, am involved in a pre-law fraternity and serve as senior editor for the Michigan Journal of Asian Studies. I also have two scholarships and multiple academic awards from UM.

Applying to: Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Duke (priority track, should hear back very soon), Notre Dame, William and Mary.

What are chances? And likelihood for scholarships?

Zepp

• View Profile
Re: Chance Me? Late App but good numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I would think that your chances at any of those schools would be pretty good with your grades/LSAT numbers.  The delay in applying might hurt your chances for Harvard or Yale, but that would be the extent of it.  And why wait, even with the issue with recommendations.  Recommendations are done through LSAC, so get your application on file, and your application will be updated as new materials come in.  The sooner you can get your foot in the yes or probably pile, the better. 

As for scholarships, don't hold your breath.  Top 14 law schools don't give much money.  I know off the top of my head, neither Yale or Harvard give merit scholarships.  Not sure about the rest, but I would venture to believe the higher the school is ranked, the less likely the chance you'd get money from them.  The top schools really have no incentive to give money away, since there is always someone that will want your spot, and it's not like you're going to transfer out of Harvard.
GULC 2010 Cum Laude