Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell vs. UCLA  (Read 1562 times)

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Cornell vs. UCLA
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
As of right now, I am trying to decide between Cornell and UCLA for next fall.
I just wanted to know if Cornell has a real advantage as a T-14 (not to mention ivy league) school?
Is Cornell any better (will it help me get a job easier) or is it pretty much a toss up? Thanks for any advice.

IClawstud

• View Profile
Re: Cornell vs. UCLA
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
For what its worth, I go to Undergrad in Ithaca, Where cornell is located. The weather is horrible. Go to UCLA. Winters get really depressing in Upstate NY. Check out the suicide rates for undergrads at Cornell.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
I've heard about those suicide rates.

What about Winter Sports?  Is there skiing and such there?

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Being from that same region in New York myself, the weather/location of UCLA is definitely the major draw over Cornell.  I'm just trying not to throw away a T-14 option for a few years of sunshine. Unless the two are comparable.... in which case I'll see you in Cali.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
Being from that same region in New York myself, the weather/location of UCLA is definitely the major draw over Cornell.  I'm just trying not to throw away a T-14 option for a few years of sunshine. Unless the two are comparable.... in which case I'll see you in Cali.

I think, honestly, that although Cornell is a T14, that it is still going to be mostly portable in the NE of the US.  Which is great if you want to work in any of the big cities there like NY, Philly, Boston, etc.

However, I would be willing to bet that UCLA is the bigger dog in Southern California and in California overall.

I don't think the difference in reputation between the two is significant at all.  Really.  I wouldn't chose Cornell JUST because it was a couple of places higher in the US News rankings.  Other factors like your extracurriculars during Law School and your class rank will have far more weight than a 3 place difference in the rankings.

If you'd ultimately like to live in SoCal, I'd say UCLA is the place to go.  If you want to work in Boston or NYC, then Cornell.  Even though the very top ranked schools are not really regional, these schools are sort of in the area where geography has an impact. 

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »
That is pretty much what I figured.
decisions decisions...

IClawstud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Also the opportunities while in school are going to be limited at Cornel. Ithaca is a small town. I was interning in the DA's office while in Undergrad and during my last few weeks I saw some Cornell Law Students beginning to intern there as well. What I am trying to say is that during the school year your real world experience may be more limited in Ithaca than Los Angeles.