Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my score has hit a plateau...what do I do?  (Read 2979 times)

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
my score has hit a plateau...what do I do?
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
For the past month or more, my scores on preptests have not been increasing much. Ive been stuck at a 157-158 for weeks now and im kind of depressed about it. What do I do now? my goal is a 160 but I cant seem to improve to that point. I still have 6 months to study as I am taking the June 2012 lsat, but I feel like im getting nowhere regardless of how much I study. Any suggestions?

brettoni

• View Profile
Re: my score has hit a plateau...what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »
some things that really really help: once in a while take untimed tests and see how you do. This will help you determine your actual best possible score. Also, when you are taking tests, mark each question that you think is really difficult and whether you get it right or not go back over them and see why you got them right or wrong.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
For the past month or more, my scores on preptests have not been increasing much. Ive been stuck at a 157-158 for weeks now and im kind of depressed about it. What do I do now? my goal is a 160 but I cant seem to improve to that point. I still have 6 months to study as I am taking the June 2012 lsat, but I feel like im getting nowhere regardless of how much I study. Any suggestions?

What is your study method/plan?  We can't know what you should change if we don't know what you're doing?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
june test be hardest ever.

karma police

• welly welly welly well my little brothers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »

What are you 40 now, Julie Fern?

But yes, June test will be the hardest ever.
Perhaps I know why it is man alone who laughs: He alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »

What are you 40 now, Julie Fern?

But yes, June test will be the hardest ever.

gee, you not seem have very good karma.

putz.

SladMed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »
why would the June 2012 lsat be the hardest?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »
not be silly.

JBrien

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »
Ok, something that improved my score significantly on both my practice tests for LSAT (and eventually the bar exam): You have to start analyzing what percentage of questions you are getting correct at the beginning of the test and at the end of the test.

This form of test taking is almost like running a marathon… at first you are doing just fine, but then you get tired and you slow down.

In the case of taking these grueling and stressful tests it is only natural that you will mentally begin to get tired.  If you analyze your correct and incorrect answers closely you will find that you will get more questions incorrect during the second half of the test vs. the first half of the test.

Most likely in preparing for the LSAT (or bar exam) you will need to improve your mental
endurance. How do you improve your mental endurance?   

1) Slowly increase the quantity of questions you do for practice (ie when you are not taking a full test) don’t just work on 25 questions, slowly increase it to 30, then 35, and so on. 

2) When you take practice tests do not immediately stop your practicing… add another section with no break.  (Think of a marathon runner slowly increasing distances.) 

3) Studies have shown that caffeine can increase mental capacity for short periods of time. When you take your test have a cup of coffee or other caffeinated beverage ready for the half way mark of the test (or when 3/4 of the test is completed).

Break down your scores to see if endurance is a weakness for you, read some more about the
LSAT at the below link, and start training for endurance (increasing slowly). 

I hope this helps!

http://www.become-a-lawyer.com/Law-school-admission-test.html

NiceOne

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Preparation Services
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:21 AM »
Hi PreLaw12,

Sometimes people hit plateaus because they have maximized the potential of their chosen methods.

For instance, think of the people you see at the gym working up maniacal sweats on the same machine day-after-day and never looking fit.

Their bodies have acclimated to their routines; sure, they may loose a pound here or there, but their weight is range-bound.

For them to get past their hump, they would need to incorporate new techniques.

You may similarly want to look for and incorporate new techniques to get your score improving.

Best of luck.