Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ALU, Taft and Concord California Bar Passage Rates 2001-2011  (Read 1616 times)

sccalaw

• View Profile
ALU, Taft and Concord California Bar Passage Rates 2001-2011
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
Hello,

I did some digging into bar passage rates for the three schools that I am considering. What I did was to go over the California bar exam passage rates for the last ten years and calculate the overall results. This is what I found:

Overall passage rates (first time and repeaters):
Taft: 72%
ALU: 37%
Concord: 50% (first students to take exam was in 2003)

Per these results I am seriously considering Taft as my first choice. My only concern in the method of instruction as Taft's website is very technologically poor, almost outdated. But with these kind of bar passage numbers, who cares right? What do you all think?

Opie58

Re: ALU, Taft and Concord California Bar Passage Rates 2001-2011
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
Hello,

I did some digging into bar passage rates for the three schools that I am considering. What I did was to go over the California bar exam passage rates for the last ten years and calculate the overall results. This is what I found:

Per these results I am seriously considering Taft as my first choice. My only concern in the method of instruction as Taft's website is very technologically poor, almost outdated. But with these kind of bar passage numbers, who cares right? What do you all think?

I had done the same, but I didn't get those figures???  Using an Excel spreadsheet, I did an analysis on pass rates for the general bar from Feb 2001 to Feb 2011 for the schools below covering first-timers & repeaters combined overall, except Concord which was first listed in Feb 2003:

ALU: 11%
Concord: 28%
NWCU: 17%
Taft: 19%

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
Don't go to Taft.  I tried them.  They were not my first choice, but because they offered federal financial aid, I chose them.  Dont' get me wrong, they have been around a long time but the instruction is terrible.

When I attended a couple of years ago, I had 18 years legal experience under my belt. 

You will brief a lot of cases.  I would get 3/4 on most of them.  That is a 75%.  When I would ask where I went wrong as I felt a 75% was not great, I would get a canned response that was geared toward anyone and not me personally.  I dropped after 6 weeks.

I would look at California School of Law or maybe the new one St. Francis as they require online class attendance 2-3 times a week.  St. Francis has a different method of teaching. 

I am contemplating either one of these schools.  I will take 1 year online and then transfer to Birmingham School of Law in Alabama.  I live in Georgia and this is the only school close by that will accept online credits.  They are a state approved school and not an ABA approved school.  I am almost 46.  A law career is not what I seek but a decent legal education.  I do not think Taft will provide that.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »
I don't think Taft traditionally gives A's. Looking back on my transcript, I graduated with a 2.79 GPA and never made a 3.0 average any year, in fact the worst year was my 4th, got a 2.44 GPA.

But the grades were largely irrelevant since I passed the FYLE and Cal Bar on my first tries. Those are the only tests that really count with a distance learning law degree.

The Taft degree is not really an academic degree (it was in essence a reading list) though when I had it evaluated recently for admission to an LLD program, I was given credit for having completed a Bachelors in Law.

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »
Hello,

I just started Taft in January and I really like it. I can only tell you so much because it's only been a month but I'm happy with my decision.

Their site is a little outdated but the students use a different site. It has all of your classes, videos, mp3s, a lot of resources, your program outline et cetera. I interact with my classmates on the discussion boards. The greater majority of my classmates seem well to do and everybody seems pretty cool with a similar goal: become an attorney.

I had a different assumption of what Law School would be like when I first started. I can't put my finger on it but it's just different then what I thought. You do have to document your reading monthly for Taft. This is from the CA bar site:

Four years of study, with a minimum of 864 hours of preparation and study per year, at an unaccredited distance-learning or correspondence law school registered with the Committee;

Taft goes over all of this with you.

But I've been studying about 20 hours a week so far.  I've gotten myself into a nice little routine. When I was in basic training in the Air Force I remember them saying that if you do something for 21 days in a row it becomes a habit. That's where I'm at.

My background is in design, web development and business and my goal is to get into Intellectual Property. You do not have to be an attorney to become a patent attorney but I still want the education for business and I am sure it will benefit me in IP. (I run a small web development and SEO business in Maryland.)

You need a STEM degree for IP. I have 2 and I also worked on a lot of STEM projects with Northrop Grumman. They had a partnership with the company that I was working for.

And I don't really care what people say about Non ABA. I can practice in California and motion into other states after so many years. Who wouldn't want to live and work in California? I don't want to work in biglaw or anything corporate. It's sort of similar to web design. I had a corporate job doing web development for about 4 years. I'm so happy I'm not in that environment anymore. It was so slow!

You only live once. If you think you will like it, go for it. Don't listen to the crabs in the bucket. Our country needs innovators like us. If you ever have any questions about Taft, let me know.

Good luck!