Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taft Law School Telecommunications Courses Question  (Read 4318 times)

sccalaw

• View Profile
Taft Law School Telecommunications Courses Question
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

I had posted some time ago as I was preparing to apply to Concord. I ended up not enrolling in Concord as I had intended (for reasons I will not go into here). I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Taft Law School and the type of technology (software) they use for their online (telecommunication) courses.  I have done some extensive research and found that Taft has a very high bar passage rate compared to ALU and Concord. However, by looking at their website, well, it looks kind of bare bones. It just has the appearance of a very low tech website so I am concerned about the method of instruction. For example, Concord has a more attractive website and they actually offer a Law School Fundamentals course for prospective students to see how the instruction method would look like. Similarly, ALU offers sample lectures that allow prospective students to experience actual courses. Does anybody here know what Taft uses as far as software and technology for their courses? I would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback.

Thank you.

LincolnLover

Re: Taft Law School Telecommunications Courses Question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
As a potential upcoming online lawstudent, I look forward to your future posts on how it goes. Best of luck!  :)

sccalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »
Hi,

I have been in contact with Taft admissions for the last couple of days. Their telecommunications programs offers one e-classroom meeting a month in which students get to ask questions about any of the subjects being taught. The rest of the learning apparently happens through video and audio lectures. They use moodle as their platform and end of the year testing happens at a location near the student. Given this format I am surprised that Taft graduates have been able to achieve a relatively high bar passage rate. According to Taft's site, their cumulative passage rate is about 70 percent which sounds kind of high in comparison to ABA approved schools like Western, Golden Gate, Chapman and Thomas Jefferson.

I really need to make a decision between Taft and ALU because I want to start in January.

I just thought I'd post that info in case others were wondering.

LincolnLover

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
Cumulative is a schools way of saying that their first time pass rate is too low to brag about.

ABA schools tend to be around 80% or higher for first time takers, so 70% sounds right for online cumulative.
What's scary though is that means of those who pass all 4 years online (and pass the minibar which has it's own 70% attrition rate) of the remaining number, a third will still NEVER pass the bar. Of those who do, that dosn't factor in MPRE or other license requirments either.

Kind of scary when you really think about it.
Hi,

I have been in contact with Taft admissions for the last couple of days. Their telecommunications programs offers one e-classroom meeting a month in which students get to ask questions about any of the subjects being taught. The rest of the learning apparently happens through video and audio lectures. They use moodle as their platform and end of the year testing happens at a location near the student. Given this format I am surprised that Taft graduates have been able to achieve a relatively high bar passage rate. According to Taft's site, their cumulative passage rate is about 70 percent which sounds kind of high in comparison to ABA approved schools like Western, Golden Gate, Chapman and Thomas Jefferson.

I really need to make a decision between Taft and ALU because I want to start in January.

I just thought I'd post that info in case others were wondering.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
Taft is horrible.  I responded to another one of your posts.  Their instruction is not geared toward you personally.  I only lasted 6 weeks as I found the school to be subpar.  When I would get a 3/4 on a brief,  I would ask where did I go wrong.  I got a canned response not geared toward me but rather a response that could be geared toward anyone.

I would not go to Concord because of cost.  You might want to look at California School of Law or St. Francis School of Law.  Both require online class attendance at least 2 days a week.  St. Francis is new and their instruction seems different than the rest. 

Clarence Darrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
I have a friend attending Taft--he will sit for the FYLSE in June 12 so that will be interesting if he passes it or not. I also have a colleague who went to Concord, she failed the FYLSE 3 times (even after the assistance of a tutor) she came into the school with an MBA from Columbia--law wasn't her strong point so she opted for the EJD. 

I chose California School of Law for the cost and the live class experience. The big downside isn't necessarily the professors (a couple sucked) but the other students. With the Socratic method one is expected to not only read the cases but to brief as well--in large brick and mortar schools that are filled with 50+ students there is a chance of not being called on, yet with small classrooms with more like 20, hands down without fail half of them were not prepared. Complaints such as "Sorry professor there were too many pages to read" or "sorry professor I had too much to drink tonight" "sorry professor maybe next time". I am not kidding, it was frustrating because those students wasted class time with questions. The professors were always suggesting they spend the time reading, and don't get it the first time read again, then again--read E&E if you don't get it but make an effort!

I am actually now in a position since I passed the FYLSE to consider a transfer--I began looking at American Heritage University. It appears many of the professors jumped ship from Abraham Lincoln SOL--at least their website isn't ghetto plus they offer evidence for 16 weeks not this 6 week BS.  The other thing of interest is the cost, $4,000 less than CSOL. Its up in the air now, but I am keeping my eye on the school and I may call one of the professors since he taught my FYLSE review.

Bottom line, no matter where you go you have to put in so much time with studying and teaching yourself--you can't expect law to be spoon fed to you, so it really depends on how disciplined you are and how much effort you put forth in understanding it.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »
I would check the bar pass rate for American Heritage very carefully. I turned down a faculty position there a few years ago when they were just getting started. While things may have changed since then, I was not impressed with the program.

Clarence Darrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
Thanks Jon for the tip.

LincolnLover

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
Would you say that the EJD helped her any as a supplement to her MBA?

I have a friend attending Taft--he will sit for the FYLSE in June 12 so that will be interesting if he passes it or not. I also have a colleague who went to Concord, she failed the FYLSE 3 times (even after the assistance of a tutor) she came into the school with an MBA from Columbia--law wasn't her strong point so she opted for the EJD. 

I chose California School of Law for the cost and the live class experience. The big downside isn't necessarily the professors (a couple sucked) but the other students. With the Socratic method one is expected to not only read the cases but to brief as well--in large brick and mortar schools that are filled with 50+ students there is a chance of not being called on, yet with small classrooms with more like 20, hands down without fail half of them were not prepared. Complaints such as "Sorry professor there were too many pages to read" or "sorry professor I had too much to drink tonight" "sorry professor maybe next time". I am not kidding, it was frustrating because those students wasted class time with questions. The professors were always suggesting they spend the time reading, and don't get it the first time read again, then again--read E&E if you don't get it but make an effort!

I am actually now in a position since I passed the FYLSE to consider a transfer--I began looking at American Heritage University. It appears many of the professors jumped ship from Abraham Lincoln SOL--at least their website isn't ghetto plus they offer evidence for 16 weeks not this 6 week BS.  The other thing of interest is the cost, $4,000 less than CSOL. Its up in the air now, but I am keeping my eye on the school and I may call one of the professors since he taught my FYLSE review.

Bottom line, no matter where you go you have to put in so much time with studying and teaching yourself--you can't expect law to be spoon fed to you, so it really depends on how disciplined you are and how much effort you put forth in understanding it.

DiscoveryPhase

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
I'm interested in seeing everyone's opinion as well.  I am still investigating the schools.  I believe I am down to a decision between Northwestern California University and Taft.  My employer will help with up to a certain amount of tuition reimbursement per year; however, it must be from an CHEA approved school - which Taft is and NWCU is not.  The difference in price between the two though washes out my reimbursement.  So, I'm trying to determine if one school is markedly better than the other.