Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice on my situation please!  (Read 384 times)

crosby87

• View Profile
Need some advice on my situation please!
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »
Hoping for some insight regarding my situation. I am currently a Junior at a private liberal arts school in the Northeast. I was a transfer from community college where I had pretty poor grades. I ended up with a 2.9 cumulative GPA and my transcript will have W's on it. Some were due to laziness and immaturity, however, I had to medically withdrawl from one semester entirely due to serious illness. During my sophomore year at my current school, I did very poorly the first semester ending up with only a 2.5 GPA. This was a HUGE wake up call for me both in terms of my life and my studies. During that break, I was diagnosed with a pretty bad case of depression and untreated anxiety. After getting the help that I needed and feeling astronomically better, I earned a 3.5. This semester I will have, at the least, earned the same GPA.

Obviously, any questions regarding admission to a particular law school will depend largely on my LSAT score. I received a 150 on a diagnostic completely cold and am working with a private LSAT tutor who seems to believe I should have no problem getting into the 160s. However, that is obviously anecdotal. I am just wondering if the W's and my initial struggles early on will prevent me from gaining admission to a decent law school? To be clear, I have no aspirations of biglaw.  I would simply like to attend a law school that has strong regional prospects and will allow me to practice law and make a decent living. Will my struggles early on prevent me from going to a school that fits this description? I am well aware that I will be able to gain admission to schools like Thomas Cooley, Florida Coastal, etc - but I would rather squash any hopes of going to law school now if those are going to be the only options I have due to my early struggles.

Please let me know what you guys think as I'm sure you know way more about the process than me.

Thanks!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need some advice on my situation please!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »
  I would simply like to attend a law school that has strong regional prospects and will allow me to practice law and make a decent living. Will my struggles early on prevent me from going to a school that fits this description?

I don't think so.  Your goals seem to be reasonable.  Most schools fit the description you're putting forth.  I mean, go ahead and cross off maybe the bottom half of the 4th tier, but other than that, most schools have a good reputation in their own backyard.  Around here, it isn't just Cooley, but also Detroit Mercy that have a pretty bad reputation.  You'll just have to get the lay of the land wherever you are and avoid schools like that.

Tofayel

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - apobangladesh
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice on my situation please!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
If your LSAT score 160+ then you may easily admit a standard law school.