Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attempt a comeback?  (Read 537 times)

worried_sick

• View Profile
Attempt a comeback?
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »
Hi everyone. I am currently sitting at a 2.0 G.P.A. with 21 credits down and 15 in progress and the semester ends on Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been in this kind of situation? What ended up happening?  It seems like anyone this "close" would be able to do extremely well if they had to repeat their 1L year. If you failed out did you attempt a comeback?

LincolnLover

Re: Attempt a comeback?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
With a 2.0 are they kicking you out, or are you just worried that they might latter?

worried_sick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:29:16 PM »
Yes, they are kicking me out if it is anything less than a 2.0. This is crazy because I have invested over $150,000 and will be almost done!

iracafella

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
Hmm, first of all, I am suspicious of this situation.

Do you think that you have been graded fairly? Have you earned those grades by playing too much games or partying, or is something going on that is tortious?

You know, there have been a lot of civil lawsuits filed with university defendants due to ADA discrimination for attention deficit disorder, or perhaps a lawsuit alleging poor grades based on racial discrimination, or first amendment retaliation. Grades have been used in the past as a pretextual tool to commit tortious conduct. I am really curious as to why this is happening to you....

Assuming that the grades are legitimate, I would say that you should talk to a lawyer ASAP. You should avoid Academic Probation, but keep in mind the Administrative Procedure Act, and your own state's law about the APA. You are entitled to a Notice and a Hearing (which is subject to judicial review :) if they try to do anything major to you. You should try hard in school, but don't let anyone mess with you.

I am interested in this case, I am not a lawyer, but I myself have filed lawsuits against university employees for tortious conduct (i had to, being pro se is foolish, but it was that or nothing because i'm broke).  I would like to help you through this as much as I can, but I would like more facts to work with.

worried_sick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »
I'll tell you what. I will log back in 3 weeks and tell you if I passed. Thanks bro.

LincolnLover

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
Hope you pass. Lots of people fail out of law school. I hear it's even a higher attrition rate at online and CBE schools due to the minibar.

You would be exempt since you made it to 2L at an ABA school though.

If you want to practice in CA or DC that may be an option. You'd get to keep most those credits too I believe.

worried_sick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
I PASSED!  :)

LincolnLover

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
Thats good. Was it still at 2.0 or did you do even better than hoped?

lawschoolsurvival

• View Profile
    • Law School Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
Congratulations!

Keep up your grades and don't sweat it too much. Then study hard for the Bar Exam.

You are already in the top 10% just by being accepted into law school, once you pass the Bar, you will be on a level playing field with the rest of the job applicants, except for the top 5-10% of the students, of course, but they will be applying to "different" firms.
www.LawSchoolSurvival.org  - Tips, tricks, and strategies for surviving law school and the bar exam.