Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going digital with their books?  (Read 470 times)

cg9009

• View Profile
Anyone going digital with their books?
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
So, I've been testing out the digital versions of casebooks by Aspen/Wolters Kluwer (http://www.aspenlaw.com/smartbooks), and they seem pretty great. You can do everything you can with books -- highlight, write notes in the margin, etc. Plus, you can click a tab and see all the highlighted notes and margin notes pulled out separately. And there's a function called "Brief Builder" where you just fill into a template the facts, holding, etc., and then you can export the brief to a text file or Word doc. And, of course, the best benefit of all -- you don't have to carry that 200-pound Con Law book with you everywhere.

So, I was just wondering: Are others using digital books?

Opie58

Re: Anyone going digital with their books?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »
No, but I sure will.  Thanks for the heads up.

mtm1980

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:01:49 AM »
I've actually been hoping that Ipad or similar would eventually allow you to utilize word, legal study/test taking, and textbooks all in one place ... I would love to never use a book or a laptop again.

Anybody know if this is possible?

iracafella

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
The only thing I dislike about ebooks is that I can't throw them out the window after a final. Having said that, I should note that there are also a lot of Digital Audio recording series for sale online. You can buy recordings of Bar Exam Prep courses and stuff, and it costs a lot less than an actual class. The only real difference is that you personally cannot ask questions, but I don't think that's too bad.

Ebooks are good, audio recordings too, same with legal research websites. Things just get better and better... except politics, money, power, and influence... that generally stays the same.

iracafella

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
I've actually been hoping that Ipad or similar would eventually allow you to utilize word, legal study/test taking, and textbooks all in one place ... I would love to never use a book or a laptop again.

Anybody know if this is possible?

Search ebay for "7 inch tablet" or "10 inch tablet"
Many companies make tablets (non apple, ipad-like things). Many run on the Android Operating system, or a Windows version for tablets or something else. I recommend a Android tablet if you are looking for a cheap price and all the qualities you listed above, they can run as low as 75$ new, with all the main features. Android also runs things that apple can't.... check it out

erickagrimes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »
Yep, i'm using it.. and it's truly amazing  ;) but i still want to have the real books, gadgets are fragile sometimes and it's really hard to rely on them.