Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Expunged Records  (Read 1847 times)

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Expunged Records
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
Is there a difference between expungment and adjudication? If they only ask about one could the other be ok not to mention since not asked?                   (in theory)
No insult intended, but you really need to talk to an attorney who is knowledgeable about the rules of the state in question.

LincolnLover

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
lots of assumptions here guys. Not applicable to me. Trying to figure out the law.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
To figure out the law:

Look at the annotated code for each state's expungement laws, then check the case law in the annotations.

You can also do the Google thing and come up with sites like this which may or may not be accurate:

http://www.americanpardons.com/clear_your_record/state_by_state_policies/

Bottom line if you fail to disclose and it shows up in the FBI database you may be screwed.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »
lots of assumptions here guys. Not applicable to me. Trying to figure out the law.
I'm not assuming anything - and really do not mean to insult you - but if you don't know the difference between "expungment" and "adjudication" you may need to find someone who does.

mtm1980

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
Just a thought ... but you certainly can obtain your own background check from the F.B.I ... just took a quick look and it requires a fingerprint card obtainable in a pluthera of locations and $18.00.  Pretty sure you can obtain one from your state of residence as well.  Pretty sure that would answer a good deal of this for you.

LincolnLover

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
All good advise, although google sucks IMO. ( unless you want to be directed to wikipedia or yahooanswers or some other useless source)

As long as it's the law, I for one plan obey it (especially since I'm clean as a sponge anyways)

I suspect after earning a JD I will know exactly what it is ok, but since laws change everyday I wouldn't count on anything being written in stone for even as long as it takes the ink to dry on a page.

Then again, what do I know, just another 0L talking to hear himself talk I guess.  :)