Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In need of some guidance! Help!  (Read 311 times)

char45

• View Profile
In need of some guidance! Help!
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
New to this board! Been poking around for months and am now ready to get some advice! Here goes.

I have an extremely low undergrad GPA (2.1). (Be kind!) I won't go into why is it that low, but it is what it is and it's what I have to work with. It might sound unrealistic to try for law school for someone with such a GPA, but I know in my heart of hearts that I am intellectually capable of attending law school and also doing very well on the LSAT. That being said, I know the odds are against me!

So, here are my questions

1.) With an INCREDIBLE LSAT, is law school possible?
2.) If so, because I won't even begin applying for another year or so, what should I do, if anything, to boost up my chances? Seems like getting into law school is primarliy a numbers game, so just I just focus on getting a crazy good LSAT and hope for the best?

I have no delusions of getting into any kind of top school. I am just wanting to know if this is even possible. And if it us, what should I do?? Thanks  :)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: In need of some guidance! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »
You can always get into some law school somewhere.  I went to undegrad with guys I thought were mentally retarded who eventually found a law school that not only accepted them, but where they graduated.  They passed the bar, too.

I think you realize that no good school will take you.  I'd shoot for maybe the 10 worst schools in the country and focus on them.  With a 2.1, unless you score like high 160s or better, I doubt any other school in the country would even think about taking you.

IClawstud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
Another thing you might want to consider is working for a year or two before law school. Many law schools will focus less on your undergraduate gpa the longer you have been out of school on the assumption that you have done some maturing while out of school and in the working world.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
Another thing you might want to consider is working for a year or two before law school. Many law schools will focus less on your undergraduate gpa the longer you have been out of school on the assumption that you have done some maturing while out of school and in the working world.

Yeah, I really wouldn't bank on that.  The first pass is almost always purely numerical and any net they set up to catch auto-rejects is sure as heck going to filter out a 2.1. 

There are some books written by admissions officials.  I'm not really going to have hurt feelings if you believe me or not, but when you're dealing with the number of applicants that law schools get, the first pass is almost always purely numerical.  Maybe URMs get a little different process, but even they probably go purely by a numerical cut.

I remember one admissions officer who said, candidly, that they like people to believe that they really look at intangibles, community involvement, leadership positions, work experience, personal statements, etc., but the actual truth is that for 95% of applicants, it happens on numbers, alone.

Frankly, I think she was lying her ass off.  I suspect it's more like the truth for 99%+ of applicants.

Like I said, take it for what it's worth:  anonymous advice given over the internet, but the more you investigate this, the more you'll see that this is how it happens.

char45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
Yeah, this really gets to the heart of what I've been wondering. Should I even bother to get some kind of job or take a few classes to somehow beef up my application, or just go for it with what I've got. I'm being realistic in thinking theres not much one can do to compensate for such terrible GPA except to do amazing on the LSAT.

Thanks for resonding!  :D

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »
Yeah, this really gets to the heart of what I've been wondering. Should I even bother to get some kind of job or take a few classes to somehow beef up my application, or just go for it with what I've got. I'm being realistic in thinking theres not much one can do to compensate for such terrible GPA except to do amazing on the LSAT.

Thanks for resonding!  :D

My advice:  no, max out your LSAT and take it from there.  If you do well enough in your 1L year, and you're flexible on where you are willing to go, it shouldn't be out of the question to transfer into a much better school. 

(People here will point out that this is problematic, and it is.  However, it can be done.)

You can't improve your GPA once you get your Bachelor's.  All you can do is try to max out the LSAT.

See what you can get and take it from there.  If you can only get into some lesser-regarded schools, then work your butt off and transfer.  If you can't transfer, be ready to finish out all 3 years at the school that accepts you initially.