Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship for european (german) students  (Read 1382 times)

Silas00149

• View Profile
Scholarship for european (german) students
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'll pass my Franco-German Abitur (= diploma from German secondary school qualifying for university admission or matriculation) in 2013 in Germany.
We've got a special program at the University of Saarland (Germany) that allows you to study even if you're still at the high-school. So I'm studying Franco-German law and preparing my Abitur contemporaneously.
If I'm lucky I'll be 2L when I finish school.

I would like to spend a semester in the States for study after the Abitur and I think that I should start looking for a (fully funded) scholarhsip by now.
Can you help me? Do you know any foundation or trust that offers scholarships to european law students?

Thanking you in anticipation!
~ Silas

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarship for european (german) students
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »
You probably already know this, but law school in the U.S. is post graduate.  There are several U.S. law schools that have study abroad agreements with several German universities.  You might look into the programs at the German schools.  The only two U.S. law schools I can think of that have German study abroad are Weidner and Duquesne, maybe.  Find what their German counterparts are and go from there.  See if you can talk to someone at the German counterpart schools about what you are trying to do.  It doesn't sound right to me, but I don't really know how the Germans do things.

The scholarships, more than likely, will come from your end.  The German schools will know more- talk to them.  I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Silas00149

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
Thank You for your answer.
I know that law schools usually are post-graduate but it seems to me that I've heard about law schools taking foreign students even if they're not post-graduate.

Law schools as such don't exist overhere. In Germany and France (probably in the entire EU) you only have law studies. Then you pass the "Staatsexamen" (~ state examination) (for German law) and the "DEUG" (~ some kind of intermediate examination) (for French law).
After passing the state examination in Germany, you work for two years (in a chancellery or at the office of the district attorney, e.g.) and then you pass a second state examination. If you pass the second one, too, you are qualified to exercise the functions of a judge as all other jurisitc professions.

And this is why I think that US law schools actually take foreign students even if they're not post-graduate.

Thank You for the allusion to these two schools. I'll try my luck.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
The French law angle might be more useful.  Civil law (what we call Roman or Napoleonic law) is used in one U.S. state- Louisiana.  University of Maine has French law programs, as well. 

Try looking at Quebec schools in Canada, as well.   
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Silas00149

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
Thank You for the hint!