Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I an unreasonable law student?  (Read 1091 times)

oboems

• View Profile
Am I an unreasonable law student?
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:03 PM »
My husband thinks that I made an unreasonable selection for courses that I am taking now. I am just want to let him know reasonable law students' opinions regarding this issue. I would appreciate your opinions.

This is my last semester and will take the Feb bar.

I am currently taking, Remedies, Criminal Procedures, Wills and Trusts, 2 credit paper course, and 2credit clinical work.

LincolnLover

Re: Am I an unreasonable law student?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »
Is your husband a laywer too? If so, what is his basis for believing what is or is not unreasonable?

If your last term, did you even have any other options?

oboems

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »
He is not a lawyer, but this is his opinion: I should have chosen easier courses, instead of bar courses.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
I know this isn't your question, but does it strike you as a bit odd that you're asking us this?

If you want to take those courses, take them.

If your husband thinks that's stupid, oh well.

If you want him to respect your decisions, tell him you want him to respect your decisions.

People take tough courseloads.  Heck, people even get good grades while doing it.  I don't see anything unreasonable about your conduct.

Though I do find it a bit odd that your husband's opinion has prompted you to get opinions from third parties.

LincolnLover

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
 :)

I know this isn't your question, but does it strike you as a bit odd that you're asking us this?

If you want to take those courses, take them.

If your husband thinks that's stupid, oh well.

If you want him to respect your decisions, tell him you want him to respect your decisions.

People take tough courseloads.  Heck, people even get good grades while doing it.  I don't see anything unreasonable about your conduct.

Though I do find it a bit odd that your husband's opinion has prompted you to get opinions from third parties.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »
I think law students must choose their courses based on what they want to learn, not on what they think it's easier. But that's just my opinion. Did everything work out well in the end ?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »
My husband thinks that I made an unreasonable selection for courses that I am taking now. I am just want to let him know reasonable law students' opinions regarding this issue. I would appreciate your opinions.

I am currently taking, Remedies, Criminal Procedures, Wills and Trusts, 2 credit paper course, and 2credit clinical work.

It's fun to see all these old threads resurrected by SoCalLawGuy.

What is funny about this thread is that nobody pointed out how easy that schedule could be.  Seriously, that's probably an incredibly easy courseload.
Remedies could be hard, depending on the professor.  I'll give you that.  But it isn't a very large body of law.  You can easily master all of the factual content.
Crim Pro is one of the easiest courses, in terms of content you have to understand, in all of law school.  The issues are easy to spot and the cases are easy to understand.
Wills and trusts is pure study and memory. That's it.  The analytical work is relatively low.
2 Credit Paper?  Easy or hard, depending on what you make.
Clinical work can be a joke and can be tough.

You want a tough 3L schedule?  Take corporate income tax, securities regulation, commercial paper, banking law, construction law, anti trust, intellectual property, etc.  Those classes are moderately difficult even in the best of circumstances.

I'd say even Family Law is probably tougher (most of the time) than any class on that her schedule.

cooley3L

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »

It's fun to see all these old threads resurrected by SoCalLawGuy.

What is funny about this thread is that nobody pointed out how easy that schedule could be.  Seriously, that's probably an incredibly easy courseload.
Remedies could be hard, depending on the professor.  I'll give you that.  But it isn't a very large body of law.  You can easily master all of the factual content.
Crim Pro is one of the easiest courses, in terms of content you have to understand, in all of law school.  The issues are easy to spot and the cases are easy to understand.
Wills and trusts is pure study and memory. That's it.  The analytical work is relatively low.
2 Credit Paper?  Easy or hard, depending on what you make.
Clinical work can be a joke and can be tough.

You want a tough 3L schedule?  Take corporate income tax, securities regulation, commercial paper, banking law, construction law, anti trust, intellectual property, etc.  Those classes are moderately difficult even in the best of circumstances.

I'd say even Family Law is probably tougher (most of the time) than any class on that her schedule.
You forgot Bankruptcy and Sales (but all the ones you mentioned can be rough too)

The OPs husband most likely wanted her home more (spouse time, kids time, wanting her to work as well,etc)
That is probably what the "unreasonable" issue was, not if it would be hard on her or not.